Question on QSUD PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please leave some 10w30 for me to buy !

Thats a good oil. I wud buy it. The 5w30 is latest dexos so it will have hths of around 3.5 i think so it will be thicker at 100c. I also think the pour point of 5w30 is higher. But it has lower ccs and mrv which are more important.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Please leave some 10w30 for me to buy !

Thats a good oil. I wud buy it. The 5w30 is latest dexos so it will have hths of around 3.5 i think so it will be thicker at 100c. I also think the pour point of 5w30 is higher. But it has lower ccs and mrv which are more important.

The HTHS of the 5w-30 will not be near 3.5, maybe 3.2 at most since it is resource conserving.

So do you guys think these PDS are correct with the 10w30 have a PP of -51*C and the 5w30 having only -42*C?

I ran it last OCI competes well or better than my latest darling MAGNATEC. My jug was purchased in the new "laundry detergent-style" container so I assume it was a "fresh" batch.

The 10w30 is NOT Dexos 1 IIRC - which I like since I can PRETEND I don't need or want excessive detergency to prevent turbo coking and I might get more fancy moly. Plus Ill take the extra GTL stock to give me a near PAO pour point
smile.gif

I will say I thinned the Rogues' sump with a substituted 1/2 qt of QSUD 5w20 to get my VVT phaser in the right realm for daily driving.

Its Gud Earl! - I wouldn't hesitate grabbing sum moore.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I posted this in the QSUD 'Clearance' thread but it didn't get a response. I'm wondering if I should buy the 2 5qt jugs of 10w30 at my local AA based on these PDS.

If these PDS are correct, the 10w30 is thinner at 100*C and has a lower pour point than the 5w30? Is this a mistake?

http://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/product..._Motor_Oil_.pdf

http://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/product..._Motor_Oil_.pdf

I just made a OCI using the Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 my Toyota Corolla seems to be liking it. I don't have a AAP store near me or I would pick up a couple more Jugs.

Ya the price listed on the shelves is incorrect for the 5 quart jugs of qsud. It said like 18 or something. I took it to the counter and told them to scan it. It sure did show up 8.45

Surprise surprise even the aap worker !!

Ya i would stash up but the rebate max is 3 if u want it bearly free
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
So do you guys think these PDS are correct with the 10w30 have a PP of -51*C and the 5w30 having only -42*C?

It wouldn't surprise me, pour point does not seem to have much of a correlation to CCS and MRV test results.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Ya the price listed on the shelves is incorrect for the 5 quart jugs of qsud. It said like 18 or something. I took it to the counter and told them to scan it. It sure did show up 8.45

Surprise surprise even the aap worker !!

Ya i would stash up but the rebate max is 3 if u want it bearly free
smile.gif

Exactly, the checkout clerk had to call "someone" when he saw the total. He thought he did something wrong. But as stated in the other thread, not all of the stores have it for $8/jug. I was able to get 3 jugs for $10 ea. at one store and 2 jugs for $8 ea. at another.

Originally Posted By: volk06
The HTHS of the 5w-30 will not be near 3.5, maybe 3.2 at most since it is resource conserving.

I think it's closer to 3.0 on that product, last time they published a value. If it were dexos2, rather than dexos1, that would be another matter altogether, but it's not.

I found 2 more jugs of the 10w30 QSUD for $8.45 so I now have 4 jugs. Do you think this oil will work well at NY winter temps that can get near 0*F..? They were all out of 5w30.

Yeah a 10w30 would be all right at 0°F. The 10w30 is tested at -25°C which is around -13°F. A synthetic 10w30 would really be just fine around 0°F. I bet even down to -20°F outside it would probably be ok. Below that I'd want a 5w30 in there for sure.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How does QSUD compare to PP?

I have run both in my 2004 Toyota Corolla. I have done several OCI's with the PP I now have my first QSUD 5w-30 in the car for about 1500 miles now. A few more months may tell me more but right now frankly the only major difference is the QSUD is almost $3 a jug cheaper if the PP is on sale or Walmart rollback.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How does QSUD compare to PP?

Probably like comparing a Crown Vic to a Grand Marquis. I was going to say the packaging on Pennzoil is better but can't even say that much.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
is only 10W30 QSUD on that "sale"? I actually use it in my RAV4, but wouldn't mind other weights at that price for my other cars.

I think that other weights were also on sale but the 10w30 didn't sell out as fast because most newer cars don't spec. 10w30. I like the fact that it's a fairly thin 30 weight at 10.3 @ 100*C....I could probably get away with running it in my 5w20 spec'd Ford in the summer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back