13 year old oil filter safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought off Ebay a factory sealed AC Delco PF2057 12 pack of oil filters. Realized after the fact the seller was selling off a bunch of NOS GM parts from a closed dealership. Like I mentioned, the case was still taped sealed from the factory. Inspection of all the filters showed no visible rust. ADBV and o-ring while looking a little chalky from age, still pliable and not cracked. Looks to be a Champion Labs made filter.

Would you run it?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Cut one, run the other eleven.

That is what I am thinking. I have run a 10 year old filter before with no issue and seen a 18 year old one run with no problems on a friends vehicle.

I will cut one open later tonight after work and post pics.

If the guys ebay description didn't say 13 year old filters I would return them. No sure what NOS covers.

Weight the pros and cons. Pro you feel good you didnt waste a some money of junk. Con: The filter comes apart and floods your motor with filter elements and plugs every passage leading to massive engine failure. Even with BITOG approved oil.
smile.gif

I'd put an orange Fram on long before doing that.

Thinking about it, there aren't many parts I'd want to use that have been sitting for 13 years.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If you do cut one open, take a lot of pictures and post them here.

I had second thoughts and just request a full refund from the Ebay seller. He offered a partial refund but I pushed back and declined.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Cut one, run the other eleven.

What I would do as well, and not run a long interval regardless of what is found.
A fresh cut open would give you a decent idea of media integrity and ADV condition, but in use may be different that new.

I installed a 10+ year old OEM filter made in Japan. The filter was wrapped in plastic. No problems to report. Sifting through the numerous threads on BITOG, the opinions are mixed. Those who say it's okay to use older stock have tried it themselves and reported no issues. Those who haven't tried it are in the "don't use it" camp. In my opinion, much of it will depend on how the filters are/were stored.

Based on your description, I would use it, but not for an extended OCI.

Frankly it would probably be just fine but think of the improvements made in filters over the last 5 to 8 years. From the older 95% minus filters to the newer 99% plus filters. I have a couple of 4 year old Fram 95% cans I'm not going to use just because there are so many better cans out there today.

How do you know it's 13 years old? I'm pretty sure they don't have parts sitting that long at a dealership. Also most filters have a date code on them.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
How do you know it's 13 years old? I'm pretty sure they don't have parts sitting that long at a dealership. Also most filters have a date code on them.

Code on filter is "410B2". Outer box packaging manufacturer had a 2004 manufacture date. Plus the clear packaging tape on the outside was starting to turn yellow with age.

Below is the sellers current listings. 99% of it is GM parts for 2000's year models and back. Nothing for any model I can see for 2010 and up. Almost like the guy bought out a closed dealership parts inventory from the 2008-2010 GM downsize and bankruptcy era.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tennisamy111/m.html?item=222594964720

Original listing is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-PF2057-12PK-Oil-Filter-25014568-NEW-IN-CASE/222594964720

After reading the above posts, I got to thinking, and remembered that I had several OLD champ brand filters in my shed, that I bought years ago on a swap meet. they are for the ones for the 60's 70's small block chevy/gm. I am sure they are at least 40 years old. Figured I could cut one open, as I do not have anything they will work on. Anyway, I did, and the media was just as nice and soft as any new one. I really had to push to get it to tear, not the slightest set bit brittle. If I had a use for them, I would not be a bit afraid to use them.

I have some of the tall red/white/blue Mopar oil filters dated 1973 (NOS). They look fine to me, though not about to cut them open to "check." I do have a collection of new air filters from 1992-1996 that I never got around to using. Those are all pliable and new looking. Wouldn't hesitate to use those.

Fwiw, I used a couple of those RWB Mopar oil filters back around 1996-2004 in my old Mopars. Those were 25 yr old filters at the time. No problems that I noted during operation or after an OCI.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If you do cut one open, take a lot of pictures and post them here.

I had second thoughts and just request a full refund from the Ebay seller. He offered a partial refund but I pushed back and declined.

Did he offer a partial refund without requiring return? If so, it might be worth it to cut one open and see if it's still usable, and if so, run the remaining 11.. With the partial refund, you'd be getting an even better deal on the 11 you'll have left. Depends on how much the partial refund is.. if it's half, then you'll be looking at ~$20 for the box.. which works out to about $1.92 each for the 11 you'd have left in usable shape.

Totally your call of course. You paid $40 for 12 filters, which works out to about $3.33 each. A brand new Supertech filter is less than $3, and a Motorcraft FL822 is just a hair over $4 each.. And RockAuto has LOTS of other filters for $3 each, or less. Heck, the EcoGard is less than $1.50 each, and those seem to be pretty decent filters, based on what I've seen posted here.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Did he offer a partial refund without requiring return? If so, it might be worth it to cut one open and see if it's still usable, and if so, run the remaining 11.. With the partial refund, you'd be getting an even better deal on the 11 you'll have left. Depends on how much the partial refund is.. if it's half, then you'll be looking at ~$20 for the box.. which works out to about $1.92 each for the 11 you'd have left in usable shape.

Totally your call of course. You paid $40 for 12 filters, which works out to about $3.33 each. A brand new Supertech filter is less than $3, and a Motorcraft FL822 is just a hair over $4 each.. And RockAuto has LOTS of other filters for $3 each, or less. Heck, the EcoGard is less than $1.50 each, and those seem to be pretty decent filters, based on what I've seen posted here.

I have already rejected his partial refund in the Ebay system so I doubt I would get a second chance on that if I even wanted to. It is now on a timer that he either refunds me in full voluntarily, or it times out if no response by Sep 6th and then I can elevate it with Ebay customer service. Given the propensity to side with sellers, I have a high degree of confidence Ebay will force his hand to refund and I ship the filters back.

As to your statements of cost, I was looking for a decent brand name filter at a value, not necessarily the cheapest filter cost to be had and would have gone with a $1.86 Ecogard I can get delivered through walmart.com if I was wanting the cheapest route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back