The 4L60E in the wife's Tahoe took a [censored] about 4 months ago from a Broken Forward Sprag, I needed it back on the road ASAP as we gave our daughter the Corolla & my 2500HD is to big for her to drive especially in parking garages at her work. I'm the ONLY one that drives my Camaro so that was out of the question.
I didn't have the time to go through the transmission & hate renting vehicles..(Long story). I had 28 hours to get her truck back into service.
Pulled the built 4L65E out of Camaro in my garage on jack stands. Threw in a 4WD Output shaft, Stock Separator Plate, & a low mileage stock truck Torque Converter I had laying around in the 4L65E.
Pulled the unit out of the Tahoe at work on a lift, Flushed the cooler, Slammed the 4L65E in, Changed the fluid in the T-case, Reused the Transynd that I drained out of the 4L65E (Less than 10K on the fluid)....I did pretty good, It was only 3 quarts short.
From the moment I jacked up the Camaro to test driving the Tahoe took 15 hours 43 minutes, I had my timer on my phone going.
Everything is now good at the homestead besides me being completely worn out & my Camaro is now stranded in the garage torn to pieces, My first instinct was to rebuild the 4L60E that I pulled from the Tahoe, Priced out new 5-Pinion Carriers, Sprag Assembly, Billet Pump Rotor, Stator Support, Drum reinforcement kit, Sonnax Shift Kit, Reverse Input Drum, Sun Shell, Sonnax 2nd & 4th Servos, Fluid, Filter, Seal kit, Frictions, Band......And I was already blowing through the Circle D 278mm HP-3200 stall Converter with the torquey L92, So add in a Billet 245mm 3200 stall converter.
Grand Total with me doing every bit of the work....$3,267., Wife offerd to pay for it by pulling from her 401K but I couldn't let her do that (Mostly because I had more than enough "Ratholed" away)
I'm making just enough power to justify an upgrade over a 4L60E based unit & had a 4L80E out of a 1997 C2500 that had an engine fire....It literally has been sitting in my storage building for 19 years but didn't have 20,000 miles on it.
Pulled it down....Everything was PERFECT besides a few surface rust spots here & there from sitting so long.
Deviation from stock Build List....
Circle D Billet 245mm 3200-3400 Converter, Custom made for a 4L60E "Dished" Flexplate.
CK Performance PTFE coated Pump Gears.
CK Performance HD Intermediate Snap Ring.
CK Performance 3rd & 4th Accumulator delete.
CK Performance High Rate Direct Clutch Return Springs.
CK Performance High Rate Intermediate Clutch Return Springs.
Sonnax Large Ratio Boost Valve & Pressure Regulator Spring.
Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve.
TH400 Aluminum Pistons in the Forward, Direct, And Intermediate Clutch.
Rollerized Output & Forward Hub.
Dual Fed Direct Clutch.
Raybestos Carbon HD Grooved Frictions in the Forward, Direct, And Intermediate Clutch.
Raybestos Steels throughout.
185 PSI at WOT, Gauge Verified! A 4L6XE requires about 230-240 PSI to handle 500 ft.LBS., A 4L80E at 185 will hold 700+ ft.lbs.Before shot, This is actually when I had a 5.3L & JUNK BBK headers, Same 4L65ECircle D 4L80E ConverterTrans ready to installTrans Installed