Harvey's toll on vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
ABC news reported tonight that the flooding according to a government agency will claim 300-500 thousand vehicles.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Many of those vehicles will end up on the used car market across the country, so beware.

+1 Just like Sandy cars.

wont be long and i will be seeing clusters,pcm's,ect with mud and dead minnows in them.
you should see the looks i get when i tell a customer they own a flood car and show them a dried up minnow from inside a cluster.

Talked to a gal yesterday that works for State Farm and she said they have agents working overtime from all across the country working all the claims coming in.

Many of those vehicles will end up on the used car market across the country, so beware.

Ha!

You beat me to it.

Its true many totalled vehicles from Katrina were never re-titled Salvage. Some major insurance companies were found guilty.

Who would have ever thought you could not trust an insurance company to do the right thing?

Which is why I don't like places like CarMax.

Could potentially devalue any car coming out of the Houston area for years. Imagine all the collector cars that will be sold w/o a word.

I'm a FedEx driver and I went to New Orleans to help get caught up after Katrina, they were stacking flooded cars under the expressway overpasses, everyday on my way in to work and on my way back to the hotel I could watch the cars pile up.
Every morning all of the new cars from the day before would be on blocks, tires missing, by the afternoon the windows would be covered with mold on the inside and you could no longer see through the windows.

Going to be hard to hide all the damage with the oil, sewage and like Spike said mold that will grow like crazy in the very warm weather let alone being underwater for weeks.

Who cares?
Cars are more easily replaced than family homes and family heirlooms, not to mention the lives of family members.
All of these cars will go to auction and the buyers may part them, crush them or fix and resell them.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Well, there goes our insurance rates.

I know. That's their excuse every year too for jacking the rates up.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
New car manufacturers are dancing with glee.

how many of those with cars lost will be able to afford a new car? I was at my insurance agency last week and flood insurance is not a common loss. Many will be SOL

More cars are being lost because people did not evacuate. And why did they not evacuate you might ask? Looters. They're all over Houston and the outlying areas. In some places, they have boats and are acting like rescuers. Looters have already been shot by angry home/business owners and the looters are shooting back. They are also robbing people at gunpoint and invading houses that are still occupied. I used to live in Katy just west of Houston and friends tell me that at least 3 people have been shot. It's bad and getting worse. Residents are setting up watch groups and patrols. They're armed and don't expect any help from the police. Some areas are war zones and in Texas people have guns, lots of them.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Who cares?
Cars are more easily replaced than family homes and family heirlooms, not to mention the lives of family members.
All of these cars will go to auction and the buyers may part them, crush them or fix and resell them.

A car that has been under water like these have cannot be "fixed". Sure, you can get them running again and sold to some unsuspecting person, but the constant problems these "fixed" cars will endure will make them worthless very quickly.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

31.gif
Might want to check your information; Carmax expressly does NOT sell flood damaged vehicles.

(Nor do they sell frame/unibody damaged vehicles.)

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

31.gif
Might want to check your information; Carmax expressly does NOT sell flood damaged vehicles.

(Nor do they sell frame/unibody damaged vehicles.)

Not everyone carries full coverage insurance, I don't. I carry the absolute minimum on all my vehicles. If let's say my Corolla gets flooded & I never report it, Dry it out & trade it in at a Carmax....How would they or you know what happened??

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Originally Posted By: addyguy
New car manufacturers are dancing with glee.

how many of those with cars lost will be able to afford a new car? I was at my insurance agency last week and flood insurance is not a common loss. Many will be SOL

Unlike homeowners where basically all the insurers pulled out of that market and it's basically just the federal government selling flood insurance (floodsmart.gov), for auto insurance it should be covered under comprehensive. Most people probably have comprehensive, it's usually not that expensive compared to collision.

Also I believe Sandy destroyed about 250,000 cars. Cash for clunkers about 690,000. Car sales last year were at a record 17.5 million, but this year it was probably going to go down to 16.5 million. Automakers can easily make up the difference. It's a minor blip. And that'a assuming everyone buys a new car. The ones that didn't have insurance were probably beaters and those people would probably just buy another beater if they didn't have insurance instead of a new car, that is if they can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back