Ease my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Kia Sedona, 180,000 miles, we've owned it since 132,change. I have always used Mobil 1 5w-20 and various oil filter brands, always using a high quality name brand. 5,000 mile oil changes.

My wife only drives 5,000 miles a year now, all short trips, city driving. .2 miles to/from work.
This last oil change, which was Saturday, I switched to Castrol Edge 5w-20 and a Fram Ultra oil filter.
She was going to go for a hike after I was done changing her oil, I was standing next to the van, she started it and it rattled and knocked, I had not started it to circulate the oil yet.
It ran for a few min, the noise had stopped and then she left.
Now whenever she leaves work the van makes that same noise, not all the time, but sometimes.
After I got home from work I had her start it in the driveway and it did it again, it only lasts for a second and then goes away. It only did it once, I had her restart it several times, oil level is dead on.

Now I have no idea if this has been going on for a long time or if it just started or even if it is oil related. She just noticed it yesterday.
I cannot imagine that it is oil related, but yet who knows?
What do you guys think? I'd really hate to drain out $50 worth of motor oil and dump back in another $50 of motor oil just to "see what happens"

I do not drive this van, I know she is hard on it and the short trips don't do it any favors.

Do you prefill the filter?

Some valve train noise is normal until oil gets up there. The first start after a change will rattle a bit longer until the filter fills up with oil and pressure comes up to normal.

Since you run good oil, a few seconds of rattle isn't a death knell. I would try to get a long drive in every couple of weeks to let the oil additives do their thing.

I wouldn't worry overmuch unless the sound changes and gets louder

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Some valve train noise is normal until oil gets up there.

But you can minimize the noise by having an oil film there in the first place.

How much of a film 5W-20 provides I don't know.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Are you running an OEM filter?

If not, spin on a new filter.

This. Kia/Hyundai make a magical filter prefilled with baby seal hide extract. Many TSB's are around for this issue

Research tick and synthetic oil and see what you get. Search what oil quiets an engine and see what you get. Regular oils work just fine 99% of the time, but boutique oils, as in real oils that use hearty formulas not gimmicks, give you more protection from dry starts.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Are you running an OEM filter?

If not, spin on a new filter.

Yep, some engines are very sensitive to non OEM filters.

A friend has one. Something in the engine gives out around that mileage, timing guides or something like that. Sorry I don't remember the exact details. He payed the dealer a small fortune to get it fixed.

I guess it's a good thing she would only be stranded four or five blocks from home.

I would change the oil filter.

1-It's not a spin on oil filter.
2-I've never used a OEM filter, ever. OEM filters are made by the lowest bidder.
3-5w-20 is what it calls for, a friend of mine put 350,000 miles on his using that oil.
4-10w-30 is to thick for that engine, especially the way she drives.
5-She drives it 20miles each way to yoga once a week, as well as when she goes on hikes she drives longer, but never on the expressway, I wish she would. But she won't. I am not going ot argue, it's not worth it.
6-I've been Googling since I posted, looks like it's the timing chain tensioners.
Now I need to figure out if it's a job I'm going to do or farm out.
I only use the stealer for warranty, recall's and TSB's, never ever anything else.

Thanks for your help guys.

Originally Posted By: burla
Research tick and synthetic oil and see what you get. Search what oil quiets an engine and see what you get. Regular oils work just fine 99% of the time, but boutique oils, as in real oils that use hearty formulas not gimmicks, give you more protection from dry starts.

What?

Originally Posted By: Spike555
1-It's not a spin on oil filter.
2-I've never used a OEM filter, ever. OEM filters are made by the lowest bidder.
3-5w-20 is what it calls for, a friend of mine put 350,000 miles on his using that oil.
4-10w-30 is to thick for that engine, especially the way she drives.
5-She drives it 20miles each way to yoga once a week, as well as when she goes on hikes she drives longer, but never on the expressway, I wish she would. But she won't. I am not going ot argue, it's not worth it.
6-I've been Googling since I posted, looks like it's the timing chain tensioners.
Now I need to figure out if it's a job I'm going to do or farm out.
I only use the stealer for warranty, recall's and TSB's, never ever anything else.

Thanks for your help guys.

Disagree with #2. Best filter doesnt always mean least noise.

OP, see my PM.

For those suggesting things to try, the Sedona does not use a spin-on filter, so those Kia/Hyundai TSBs about having engine noise if the OEM filter is not used do not apply here. FWIW, some startup tick/knock is normal for a few seconds on the 3.8L until oil pressure builds. This was confirmed to me by a dealer near me, and made reference to in the TSB for timing chain tensioners. Sometime in August of 2008 Kia/Hyundai switched to a different cartridge filter and housing; maybe to quiet the engine down? The 'old' style filter in my van (and the OP's) has a stem that centers the filter, but also provides a seal that prevents oil from draining back. The housing eventually will become only partially full though, as some oil is allowed to drain back over time. No idea why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back