HDEO for sludged gasser

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Chevy Malibu, had the LIM coolant leak. Fixed that with stop leak. Today I changed the oil and put in M1 HM 10w-30. It really quieted the valve train.

Anyway I know it's sludged from what I can see in the fill hole, and the PCV valve is also gross. I will be replacing the PCV with a new valve next week. For now I cleaned it out with brake cleaner.

Would something like rotella T4 do more cleaning than the M1 HM?

Im not sure an HDEO would clean better than M1HM , but M1HM is a great oil to use in that application. Id say stick with the M1 HM.

Frequent changes with any good cleaning oil would be my plan. PYB and M1 have a reputation for good cleaning ability, but ST will likely do just as well in the short run.

So fixed a coolant leak with stop leak??? Not familiar with Malibu is this a permanent fix or is there something else that will need to be done?

How long do you expect the stop leak to keep this gasket leak fixed?
I wouldn't bet on very long.
You may have to bite the bullet and either do the LIM replacement or have it done.
I don't necessarily think that a HDEO would clean any better than M1 HM, but you'll need to do some frequent drains until this engine starts to look a little better internally.
Any cheap oil in any grade would be a good choice for this.
Clearance T5 10W-30 would have been a good choice, but it's all gone by now.
If you have O'Reilly's in FL, there is still plenty of clearance Havoline out there.

Bars stop leak. It'll work well enough. It's not my daily driver. I'm letting a friend use it and when it dies oh well. The LIM is a big job and if he asks me to I might do it in winter when the dew point is not 80 bloody degrees.

It got M1 HM because that is what was in the garage and I knew I needed to get the contaminated oil out.

It's not losing coolant anymore after the stop leak so I'm going with it.

I'll pick up some more M1 on pay day.

I run T-5 in my 2000 regal , you can still get it at truck stops and menards , in florida I dont know ???

you will need several changes to get the residual antifreeze out of the motor

Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
I run T-5 in my 2000 regal , you can still get it at truck stops and menards , in florida I dont know ???

you will need several changes to get the residual antifreeze out of the motor

I'm thinking maybe 2-3k for this fill, then another 3k with T4 or penzoil conventional. Supertech filter

No sense in running M1 and then changing early. I'd run the cheapest HDEO I could find and change it at 3,000 ...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Oil_Flunky
Rislone cleaned up sludge visible through the oil fill cap on my 3.1 Lumina, after fixing a LIM leak.

How long did you run it?

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Bars stop leak. It'll work well enough. It's not my daily driver. I'm letting a friend use it and when it dies oh well. The LIM is a big job and if he asks me to I might do it in winter when the dew point is not 80 bloody degrees.

I had the LIM in about 2003 right after the warranty expired on my 2000 silverado. I used Barrs stop leak, it stopped the substantial external leak in about 4 minutes, and it never gave me another issue. Sold the truck in 2015 without it ever leaking another drop from anywhere.
Barrs is the real deal.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: Oil_Flunky
Rislone cleaned up sludge visible through the oil fill cap on my 3.1 Lumina, after fixing a LIM leak.

How long did you run it?

I used a double dose of Rislone Concentrate, 10w40HM Mobil 1, and a extended filter which was swapped out after 500 miles. Use this with caution as it's more aggressive than recommended. When in doubt, change the filter/drain it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back