Jeep JK owners front brake lines. Warning!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The front passenger side front brake line broke in half this weekend while driving to the store. It broke where the steel tube is connected to the rubber hose under the thick rubber sleeve.
the rubber sleeve was all swelled up at the connection point. Got the jeep home and replaced the brake line, then I thought I should check the drivers side.
It was also swelled up. I pulled it with little force and it snapped in two.
Please check your front brake lines or have them inspected by a dealer.
New brake lines are $28.00 each at NAPA.
2008 Rubicon, 76,000 miles.

It might be a good time to look into stainless steel braided brake lines. I replaced mine, on two vehicles, about ten years ago and have never had a problem. Stuart Trotter, the owner of Technafit, is easy to deal with and can custom make lines if he does not have a particular application available. I paid about $100.00 for a full car set.

http://www.technafitstore.com/category-s/1825.htm

There was a recall the fender liner rubbing the hoses and causing a failure. My parents used to have a 2009 Rubicon and it received this around 2010.

Is this what happened?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Just replaced mine earlier in the summer. Coated the new ones with anti-seize.

Good Idea.

Going by the drama in the title, I was expecting carnage from a newer model and not a 10 year old one with ten West Virginia winters under it's belt.

Hootbro:
Guess you should check your FJ Cruiser then, huh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jonnied1
Hootbro:
Guess you should check your FJ Cruiser then, huh.

Yup, when I Fluid Film it for the winter season like I do every year.

Not trying to be crass but the thread title was a little melodramatic. Your rust issue was not a JK specific issue and could have happened with any vehicle after 10+ years of use in a rust belt state.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Not trying to be crass but the thread title was a little melodramatic. Your rust issue was not a JK specific issue and could have happened with any vehicle after 10+ years of use in a rust belt state.

Perhaps it was a bit dramatic, but on the other hand I've never seen anything like that on any of my old vehicles operated here in southeaster Wisconsin. They put so much salt on the roads here it will sit in little piles for weeks after a storm. I've never replaced any of the brake hoses and I don't see rust on the ferrules. Those pictures show what I would consider an atypical situation that is extremely serious and dangerous.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Perhaps it was a bit dramatic, but on the other hand I've never seen anything like that on any of my old vehicles operated here in southeaster Wisconsin. They put so much salt on the roads here it will sit in little piles for weeks after a storm. I've never replaced any of the brake hoses and I don't see rust on the ferrules. Those pictures show what I would consider an atypical situation that is extremely serious and dangerous.

Thank you!
Agreed, Napa said they sell a lot of these brake lines to Jeep owners. Just thought I would make people aware of this issue. I also have a 2008 Ram 2500 P/U and just checked the front and rear brake lines. They all look good.
Referring to the swelling and corrosion shown in my photos, I would not be surprised if it is a basic manufacturing defect which allows a tiny bit of brake fluid to weep out at the soldered compression joint inside the steel sleeve. All knowing how corrosive brake fluid is. Possible manufacturing defect from the start?

Last edited:
That brake line looks like it came off a Model T that was parked at the bottom of the ocean.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: jonnied1
Referring to the swelling and corrosion shown in my photos, I would not be surprised if it is a basic manufacturing defect which allows a tiny bit of brake fluid to weep out at the soldered compression joint inside the steel sleeve. All knowing how corrosive brake fluid is. Possible manufacturing defect from the start?

No, it isn't corrosive like that to steel otherwise it would corrode all the rigid brake lines. Those pictures look like the steel being used is either defective or incorrectly plated. I've never seen brake lines that bad, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back