Update Powerstroke 6.7 Upper Oil Pan Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to give an update on my upper oil pan reinstall. I purposely took my truck to a Ford truck center with the assumption they were more equipped to do this job...boy was I disappointed. Service writer didn't have a clue nor was communicating accurate information. Suffice it to say I will not be returning during any lifetime. Sorry for the rant.

Here is a picture of the lower oil pan freshly resealed and installed. Cannot see upper pan, but hoping it is good to go. The service manager said he was done more than 18 of these, but mine was the first one using the silicon for the upper oil pan. My wonderful service writer told me they ordered a new upper and lower oil pans, but my paperwork doesn't show that. Service manager is looking into it for confirmation. Other than that, hope no new leaks on the cardboard. Hope everyone is well.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Yes, thankfully, the bill was around $2,200...parts and labor.

That's the most expensive tube of goop I've ever seen.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Yep American car dealerships are imploding themselves!

Last edited:

That is mostly the lower oil pan in his photo. The upper oil pan is basically the bottom third of the engine block. Quite a bit more than a tube of goop.

My mistake. It was $2,697. Glad it was under warranty for sure.

Not sure on that bioburner. It is not a commercial vehicle...rather a RV. Very expensive leak...had to remove transmission to get to the upper oil pan. Ford covered everything. Very fortunate it happened while under warranty.

Some states require all vehicles to pass some sort of inspection. MN had one years ago to address air pollution and lasted about 3 years. Texas requires a pretty loose inspection that I will have to go through this fall on the F350 and the little Transit.
Glad to hear that Ford stood behind it and resolved it.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
One very expensive leak. Being in California it probably wouldn't pass inspection?

We don't have state inspections for that here. Now you can fail a smog inspection if there is an excessive enough leak to where the person doing the inspection feel it is unsafe to test.

Donald, yes it was on my F550 6.7. It appeared to be leaking from my lower oil pan. It would slowly drip along one side and when level would drip along the bolts of the lower pan. Initially was small drip or 2 over weeks. Lately got worse thus prompting me to take to dealer. Where is yours leaking from?

Last edited:
So there are two oil pans? Is Ford trying to reinvent the wheel again? Are you sure it isn't just the lower portion where the pickup tube Is? The early models had plastic oil pans which of course was a dumb idea.

They probably had to raise the engine up a bit, but still not $2900 worth.

The upper oil pan seems to be a major drive train connection point. I can take a picture of work order which details all that was done if you are interested. I really thought the leak was something simple, but the dye said otherwise. I am sure out of warranty price would have been much more costly.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So there are two oil pans? Is Ford trying to reinvent the wheel again? Are you sure it isn't just the lower portion where the pickup tube Is? The early models had plastic oil pans which of course was a dumb idea.

The upper oil pan seems to be a major drive train connection point. I can take a picture of work order which details all that was done if you are interested. I really thought the leak was something simple, but the dye said otherwise. I am sure out of warranty price would have been much more costly.

Yeah basically the upper oil pan is an extension of the block and is built like it. If you think about a older engine usually the block stops at the crankshaft level or close to it. Then the oil pan sits below it. But that leaves bottom portion of the transmission not supported by anything.
In the quest of better NVH, drivetrain stiffness has become a factor, and most modern drivetrains have some way of tying the bottom of the transmission to the block. What they are doing is making another stiff cast part that bolts to the block and serves as a connection point for the lower part of the transmission. That is what they are calling the "Upper oil pan". Probably would be better called "Block extension" or something. This is one way to do it and you can see the entire bottom of the transmission is solidly bolted to the engine as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back