Mobil1 Hi-Mi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi thanks for letting me join i been reading this blog for a while and I cant seem to find an answeer so I had to join. So I have an older camry, i put whatever I can get cheap in it. I found an awesome deal at advance $32-$12 rebate=$20-$10 gift card= $10/5 qt jug for Mobil1 High Mileage 10w30. I notice the donut in the back states API SN SAE 10w-30 and thats it. Also says API SN/SM and ACEA A3/B3. Ill try to post a pic. My manual asks for anything API xw-30 Resource Conserving or ILSAC multigrade oil. Should I be concerned at all that this oil is not resource conserving? I don't mind about loss of mpg but damage to emission system is possible I have read. Im sorry if this question has been asked before. I have another jug of Valvoline Maxlife Red bottle 10w-30 that is resource conserving just wondering if this may cause accelerated wear on other components.

TYIA

Last edited:
Because it's ACEA A3/B3 rated, it cannot be resource conserving. But I would not worry about damage to your emissions system.

If it's an older Camry w a typical RMS leak, I'd stick w the MaxLife Red bottle. M1 HM tends to pour out of those RMS cars - I've had 1st hand experience w a high mileage 96 Camry. If your car doesn't leak bad, then the M1 will be fine.

No leaks at all and I only burn about half a quart when I use its favorite blends. It seems to like Quaker State products. Raised on PYB till 130k

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
Hi thanks for letting me join i been reading this blog for a while and I cant seem to find an answeer so I had to join. So I have an older camry, i put whatever I can get cheap in it. I found an awesome deal at advance $32-$12 rebate=$20-$10 gift card= $10/5 qt jug for Mobil1 High Mileage 10w30. I notice the donut in the back states API SN SAE 10w-30 and thats it. Also says API SN/SM and ACEA A3/B3. Ill try to post a pic. My manual asks for anything API xw-30 Resource Conserving or ILSAC multigrade oil. Should I be concerned at all that this oil is not resource conserving? I don't mind about loss of mpg but damage to emission system is possible I have read. Im sorry if this question has been asked before. I have another jug of Valvoline Maxlife Red bottle 10w-30 that is resource conserving just wondering if this may cause accelerated wear on other components.

TYIA

Resource conserving is thin 30 HTHS 3.0-3.1

M1 HM 10W30 is thick 30 at HTHS 3.5

The additive packages are very similar with the HM having some extra seal conditioner and perhaps more detergent

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Resource conserving is thin 30 HTHS 3.0-3.1

M1 HM 10W30 is thick 30 at HTHS 3.5

The additive packages are very similar with the HM having some extra seal conditioner and perhaps more detergent

+1.

This would be an excellent oil for your car. The oil issues these engines are known for are not the same RMS issues he mentions above. Different powertrain, different issues. Walmart has it for $23 every day, and of course $13 when they run the biannual rebates (I buy two each time).

http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php
"ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of Low Viscosity Oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the Engine Manufacturer"
This bottle of M1 does not bear the starburst for gasoline engines like manual shows.
Since this oil appears to be diesel compatible (B3?). assumed the ad pack was way different than what Toyota was asking for/designed for.
(I dont mean to be pointing this message at anyone in particular sorry )

Last edited:
I wouldn't use it if it's going to nag at you. It seems incredibly unlikely that Mobil 1 High Mileage would be in any way incompatible with a Camry especially without excessive consumption but you don't need to use any oil that you'll have second thoughts about if you have another option at the ready.

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php
"ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of Low Viscosity Oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the Engine Manufacturer"
This bottle of M1 does not bear the starburst for gasoline engines like manual shows.
Since this oil appears to be diesel compatible (B3?). assumed the ad pack was way different than what Toyota was asking for/designed for.
(I dont mean to be pointing this message at anyone in particular sorry )

If it was "way different" it would not be carrying API sn rating. You are overthinking this, but if this is going to make you lose sleep at night, by all means return it.

This is Mobil 1. It will not cause wear. This oil is great and perfect for an older car like yours that is not currently leaking oil. 10W-30 would not have been my choice I would have gone with 5w30 but honestly its still top of the line oil for your car. Tell you what. Call Mobil. They have world class technical support and they will take any fears you may have away and explain fully whats going on for you. I run M1 HM 5w30 in my Nissan Altima 10,000 miles and wouldnt change a thing.

Ok thanks. I just wasnt sure. Its my job to look at many fine details. Haha i have the service history since new and I havent used anything that wasnt RC. But at this mileage and price why not. Thank you all

In general the starburst is a lot less important than the donut (which it has). The donut tells you the API grade and the API performance standard. As long as those are appropriate for your vehicle that is the most important thing.

OP, on Mobil's website they even run a 2015 Camry from new to 500k miles on M1HM. An oil is usually RC if it contains both, API SN and ILSAC GF5 approvals for fuel economy reasons. The oil you have there is all about wear protection through (as mentioned earlier) thick for Xw30 HTHS (3.5).

With the latest formulation, the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil shouldn't have any negative effect on emission equipment. Mobil 1 HM has been changed to SN, SM just recently, and Mobil lowered the zinc and phosphorous to the same levels as most of their other passenger car oils.
The older SL formula had the higher amounts of zinc and phosphorous.

Been running Mobil 1 HM 5w30 in my 2011 Cruze for the past 75k. Will roll over to 200k on odometer next week. This oil will not cause you any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back