Reliable substitute T-case oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe try to figure out who makes the transfer case, and perhaps another brand uses the same one. Then you can see what they recommend? If its also some "special" specific gear oil maybe the transfer case needs it.
Sometimes I give up and just buy the manufacturers bottle, as the small savings isn't significant and it gets me into the dealer once in a while so I'm not a stranger if I have some questions or major problems...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Maybe try to figure out who makes the transfer case, and perhaps another brand uses the same one. Then you can see what they recommend? If its also some "special" specific gear oil maybe the transfer case needs it.
Sometimes I give up and just buy the manufacturers bottle, as the small savings isn't significant and it gets me into the dealer once in a while so I'm not a stranger if I have some questions or major problems...

+1 I had an older Equninox which had versatrak fluid and Royal purple "recommended" one of theirs but it never felt right unless it had the Delco stuff. Considering a transfercase for a sedan shouldn't hold much and doesn't need to be drained too often I would get the OEM stuff. That being said, Valvoline and Castrol if I remember correctly make a transfer case fluid. Worth looking into to see if they mention a cross reference to the GM number

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Why do you think it needs changing? T-Case is a close system.

Well, the fluid is accumulating particles from wear with no filter system, so changing it never hurts. Have you never drained a diff or transmission? Lots of ugly stuff comes out on the initial draining, or is stuck to the magnet.
I was always surprised how dark my Trackers front diff fluid got over 30-40k miles even though its just coasting along 90% of the time.
Lifetime fills means the manufacturer is pretty sure the dirty fluid won't cause a failure within the warranty period, but if you want to go triple that far without having a problem, changing the fluid is the way to do it.

Some transfer cases are electronically monitored and will set a fault when a fluid change is required. Unfortunately, it usually doesn't display on the IP- the car needs to be interrogated by the appropriate diagnostic software.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Why do you think it needs changing? T-Case is a close system.

Well, the fluid is accumulating particles from wear with no filter system, so changing it never hurts. Have you never drained a diff or transmission? Lots of ugly stuff comes out on the initial draining, or is stuck to the magnet.
I was always surprised how dark my Trackers front diff fluid got over 30-40k miles even though its just coasting along 90% of the time.
Lifetime fills means the manufacturer is pretty sure the dirty fluid won't cause a failure within the warranty period, but if you want to go triple that far without having a problem, changing the fluid is the way to do it.

I am asking specifically to the OP for his specific case, I know about no lifetime fluid, etc.

Look at my signature, I have a 4WD Suburban Diesel.
I changed the t-case fluid but it was more than 10 years old when I changed it after I purchased it with no history (fire chief truck).
The t-case fluid was not that bad and it is spec'ed for trans fluid not too difficult to find.
The diff was worst but it is a RWD truck.

OP's car is barely 3-4 years old and he/she did not post the mileage of the car.
Just curious to see if he perceived any issue or is it because of mileage accumulation.
I will change the trans fluid more often than the t-case fluid unless it is abused or bought used cars with no history.

The advert for the GM recommended fluid says "full synthetic 75W-90 hypoid gear lubricant."
I'd think the Mobil or Castrol equivalents would be fine.
And yes 45 bucks a quart is way too high.

Car is a 2014 Buick Regal 2.0T 6spd auto AWD. 40k. Features a Haldex 4 AWD system : Knowing nothing about this AWD system I thought it might be wise to get fresh fluids in all the lubrication points. The Regal owners manual leaves me high and dry. Thankfully GM BOY here at bobs is helping me out. 3 AWD spots take lube. 1. Rear axle : 2. T-Case : 3. Rear differential Clutch : What's weird is that they are all 75w-90 gear oils : T -case > http://www.ebay.com/itm/292158504164 : Differential clutch fluid > http://www.ebay.com/itm/152671208296 : Rear axle > http://www.ebay.com/itm/322503550408. I think I'm safe using Amsoil S.V. + Limited Slip additive in the rear axle. The other two have me worried, I'd rather use redline for the $$ but oem is safer. Btw if anyone has a Regal / Lacrosse or Cadillac XTS AWD they share the same haldex unit. Although info on it is scarce to say the least. Thanks

I had similar dilemma a little while ago before I changed fluids in front and rear on my '14 Kia Sportage.
First - I read what User Manual recommended so I know minimum requirements; then did my own research and ended up buying and using Schaeffer Manufacturing 2937590-012S Supreme Gear Lube SAE 75W-90 that I got from Amazon at $13.58 a quart with free shipping.
IMHO, this Schaeffer oil beats Amsoil and RedLine by a good margin and I'm very happy with it so far.

Could you repeat that ? Think I'll swing by Napa & see what they say. Since there are a Liqi moly dealer maybe they can get some info for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back