WOW Air coming to CVG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we're getting another airline at CVG...Iceland's WOW Air. Starting in May 2018 I'll be seeing magenta and white Airbuses on approach as they come over my house on their way to CVG. On the face of it, it seems silly...how many Cincinnatians want to go to Iceland?!? The reality is, it's a cheap way to get across the Atlantic and have access to several major airports in Europe. I'll be curious to see how this plays out.

CVG probably won't ever recover from the Delta pullout but it's nice to see it's still an attractive location for a low cost carrier.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Count me in as someone who would LOVE to go to Iceland. And now I can, cheaply.

+1 One of our friends just went with her son and they had a great time. It's actually far cheaper to fly to iceland than to Yellowknife in Canada from Toronto.

Great! Awesome! Delta stuck it into CVG and then broke it off, resulting in the airport becoming the most expensive in the country for a long time after that. When the LCCs that I used to hate on principle came into town, they broke up DL's egregious racket.
<<formerly of DL but that was in ATL

Oh man, I have fond memories of sitting in the little parking lot along Lindbergh Blvd at the western end of the runways at Lambert Field, watching commercial planes come and go, along with the Air National Guard Phantoms, long before they rerouted/buried the road. 94th Aero Squadron restaurant was a great spot for watching airport operations. Ugh, makes me feel old.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
On the face of it, it seems silly...how many Cincinnatians want to go to Iceland?!?

CVG was probably a strategic decision.

Their intent is probably to codeshare with a US carrier, basically offering service to Iceland or wherever by way of CVG. I'm sure CVG is desperate for more traffic and their fees are probably dirt cheap right now.

The more I read, it looks like Iceland is a gateway to western Europe, so it's not so much people flying TO Iceland, it's people flying THROUGH Iceland. CVG can be like a ghost town sometimes...came through customs at the International terminal on a Saturday afternoon recently and ours was the only international flight...we were IT.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I sure hope this isn't another flag of convenience scheme.

Oh please...

Super low fare, hire pilots via an intermediary, pay way below market rates.

Yep, they may be based in Iceland, staffed by Icelanders, and have an owner who is Icelandic, but they sure don't want to comply with any reasonable labor standards when it comes to highly trained flight crews...

And word on the street is that they're short of pilots.

LOL.

Wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back