1999 S-10 4.3L V6 Nagging Hot Start Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Well, we finally found the problem with the Hot Start.

Lately, I had been getting a couple of "Fouled Plug" codes.

I mixed up a strong solvent brew consisting of fuel grade PEA, Toluene, chloro-alkybenzene's, chlorohexane's, Naphtha, Kerosene, and Isopropyl alcohol. This improved things slightly, but after a 1/8 tank of this mixed with 93 octane gasoline, still no go.

In addition, the idle was getting more erratic and idle RPM would drop after warm up. A hot Restart required the throttle to be opened a bit or no go.

I took the S-10 back to my trusted mechanic and asked him to keep it until he found the problem this time.

Apparently, this fuel delivery system has the CMFI system.

After two days they verified it was the fuel pressure regulator leaking down and actually saw the fuel pressure drop after warm up. The poppet valves are working as designed.

So "Sammy" the S-10 (as my grandsons call it) now runs like it's on steroids.
happy2.gif

Many thanks to Trav for his suggestions.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Is this connected to the spider?

Were you able to buy just the regulator or did you need to buy a complete assembly?

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
Always liked those trucks. How many miles.?

206,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is this connected to the spider?

Were you able to buy just the regulator or did you need to buy a complete assembly?

Thankfully, just the regulator.

Nice. My dad's 2001 S-10 4.3L is having some strange electrical problems; wipers randomly not working and vehicle refusing to allow windows to roll up. lol

This one has the manual window crank, which I prefer and less costly to repair.

This is also my Storm Spotting vehicle, so when I need it to start and go, I need it to start and go, NOW!
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back