HTHS of a couple of OTC engine oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
So gm 5w30 has hths of around 3.5 ?
Gm 5w30 and mobil 5w40 have almost similar hths?
Am i reading the chart correctly ?

Somewhat confusing to me trying to pull the 5w-30 info out of those charts. I assume they're using Mobil Super Syn. 5w-30. Can we be certain they're using Grp 3+ synthetics for all of the 5w-30's?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Somewhat confusing to me trying to pull the 5w-30 info out of those charts. I assume they're using Mobil Super Syn. 5w-30. Can we be certain they're using Grp 3+ synthetics for all of the 5w-30's?

Why would that matter?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Why would that matter?

Because the 5w-40 and 5w-50 oils tested are very likely to be synthetics. In the case of Mobil, I don't see them offering a 5w-40 conventional. Wouldn't you want to compare apples to apples (ie synthetics vs synthetics). 5w-30 grade on the surface can be just as easily conv or syn.

Because the 5w-40 and 5w-50 oils tested are very likely to be synthetics. In the case of Mobil, I don't see them offering a 5w-40 conventional. Wouldn't you want to compare apples to apples (ie synthetics vs synthetics). 5w-30 grade on the surface can be just as easily conv or syn.

Not really, the abstract states "The article presents the results of experimental studies of HTHS viscosity of modern motor oils belonging to different viscosity classes" which to me would be agnostic to the base stock composition of the finished oil.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv

Yep,
it gets back to what I've been saying forever...they knew that when they went to multigrades across the board that the kinematics on J300 stopped accuratelt defining what an oil can do. So they tested and proved that HTHS was the answer, THEN set a bunch of minimums for each grade, and initially gave the 0W, 5W, and 10W40s the same minimum as a 30.

The grading should be xW-HTHS, with the kinematics as the secondary factor.

Per the apparent cofusion on the GM oil...the Delco 5W30 on the shelves locally is Dexos 2, i.e. above 3.5 HTHS.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: merconvvv

Yep,
it gets back to what I've been saying forever...they knew that when they went to multigrades across the board that the kinematics on J300 stopped accuratelt defining what an oil can do. So they tested and proved that HTHS was the answer, THEN set a bunch of minimums for each grade, and initially gave the 0W, 5W, and 10W40s the same minimum as a 30.

The grading should be xW-HTHS, with the kinematics as the secondary factor.

Per the apparent cofusion on the GM oil...the Delco 5W30 on the shelves locally is Dexos 2, i.e. above 3.5 HTHS.

gm ac delco 5w30 is good stuff.

Agreed they should list hths ccs mrv and noack on every can of oil. Not that difficult ! I am going to thicken up my 10w30s with a hint of 20w50 to bring hths around 3.5

enjoy the new property !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back