M1 0W40, 5250 miles, Toyota 4Runner 4.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my sample for my 4runner with a V8. The mileage listed on the sample is wrong as I forgot the exact mileage (5250 is the correct #). I had added Bars Stop Leak at the last change (6/17/16) due to the numbers shown on that and 6/14/15 samples. Sent in a mid-run sample on 2/16/17 which showed a big drop in the possible coolant leak. I may add one more tablet just for kicks.

Click on the image to make it a little bigger.

Last edited:
While the coolant no longer seems an issue I would replace the head gasket or whatever you suspect is where the coolant leak is. Certainly the leak could come back, I would not count on the Bars Stop Leak to be a permanent fix.

OP - good report, obviously you could go much longer. Bars Leak tabs worked for me. Had an intake leak on my 94 Pontiac 12 years ago - no issues since.

Originally Posted By: alex_at
nice report!

Have you figured out the coolant leak yet? Stop leak is just a temporary solution ...

Correct...fix the leak.

(nice report otherwise)

Thanks for the post. That era of Toyota's are know for the radiators splitting. Dealer replaced mine before I bought my GX 470. Good to see the 2UZ-FE liked the m1 0w-40.

I haven't found the leak...absolutely no signs anywhere other than the UOA reading. It is SO small that, upon talking to a veteran Toyota mechanic today, its not worth tearing apart the engine for such a tiny seep. Especially since the Bars has stopped it. Could it lead to something major, yes. But right now, not worth it and I'll keep an eye on it.

I figure keep doing the 5k oil change and not try to take it longer. As it is, I went 14 months on this interval and Blackstone says everything is fine. It averages out to once a year so the cost of oil changes isn't a factor...heck...the analysis costs more!

Drive the wheels off that thing!
Typical Toyota engine; going to outlast the rest of the vehicle.
Lucky for you, you're in a dry area and rust won't be a large concern, so the vehicle should last a LONG time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back