Air cut off tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems every third job I have to get out my electric angle grinder and cut something in half (yes I live in the Rust Belt).

I've had some close calls where the big old Ridgid electric barely fits in the space required to get the job done. The on/off paddle is no fun without 3 hands. I need something small to get into tight spaces. I just upgraded to a 60 gallon air compressor, so, I'm looking for an air cut off tool that is:

1. Lightweight
2. Compact
3. Quiet (relatively, anyway)
4. Variable speed trigger

So far all I've found is this, the AIRCAT 6505:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPVQBI

Questions:
Anything else I should consider?
What brand of cut-off wheels should I get with it? I'll be mostly cutting exhaust systems and suspension components.

I have an inline cut-off tool, but for tight spots I prefer a mini right angle die grinder. Much easier to control, and has plenty of power for cutting with a 2 inch wheel. Very seldom need or use the inline tool.

Last edited:
The HF looks nice and small, but it doesn't appear to have variable speed. Also no noise rating.

The Sioux is a bit out of my price range. I could go up to $100, a little more if it came with accessories.

Looking at die grinders now.

I have the Mac straight cut off tool and angle die grinder set that they're always putting on special. I think I gave 100 for the pair. Nothing spectacular about them but they work and have held up for several years in a professional shop environment even with lube techs who haven't bought their own borrowing them frequently.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I have the Mac straight cut off tool and angle die grinder set that they're always putting on special. I think I gave 100 for the pair. Nothing spectacular about them but they work and have held up for several years in a professional shop environment even with lube techs who haven't bought their own borrowing them frequently.

Letting that soak in a moment... lube techs borrowing cut off tool and die grinder.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
The HF looks nice and small, but it doesn't appear to have variable speed. Also no noise rating.

The Sioux is a bit out of my price range. I could go up to $100, a little more if it came with accessories.

Looking at die grinders now.

I have the HF die grinder that is identical to that cut off tool. The speed adjustment is a ring on the end just in free not of the air fitting. It also has an adjustable exhaust discharge that is fairly quiet, much quieter that the other cheap die grinders in the shop. It all works well for such a cheap tool.

do you have a good size compressor? these use alot of air up, volume-wise.

i think the next air tools i buy will be some aircat stuff. they look great and the prices seem too good to be true...i hope they arent!

Yes I do, 60 gallon but 13.3CFM@90PSI not the usual 11.something.

I may go for the Aircat, just to give it a try. An air die grinder is next on the list anyway.

If you do let me know how it works. Im looking for one at work.
The Sioux is way to expensive. If I was gonna pay that much I'd buy one off the tool truck and have a warranty thats easy to use.

Yes I do, 60 gallon but 13.3CFM@90PSI not the usual 11.something.

Thats going to run out of wind after a short time. You need over 20 CFM to run it at 100% duty but it will work for small jobs.

PDF spec sheet says 6CFM, doesn't say average or continuous. If it's twice that I still should be OK. If it's really 20CFM it will go back for refund with a note to Aircat, "please update delusional specs on your web site." (Amazon has 2.5HP but spec sheet says 1/2HP, is that the reason you think it'll take 20CFM?)

http://aircat.com/3-composite-cut-off-tool

Take a look at the original post. I'm not porting heads or making large molds. Just cutting off the occasional stuck part.

I hunted around and found 3 different "average" CFM ratings for the Aircat 6505, and zero for actual consumption. So, I just pinged them using their web page contact form. I'll post the answer, once I get it.

PDF spec sheet says 6CFM, doesn't say average or continuous. If it's twice that I still should be OK. If it's really 20CFM it will go back for refund with a note to Aircat, "please update delusional specs on your web site." (Amazon has 2.5HP but spec sheet says 1/2HP, is that the reason you think it'll take 20CFM?)

http://aircat.com/3-composite-cut-off-tool

Take a look at the original post. I'm not porting heads or making large molds. Just cutting off the occasional stuck part.

I did look at your original post that's why I said it will work for small jobs. 20 CFM continuous is a low guess, I suspect it may take more than that if its really 1/2 HP. I use air tools all the time I know which ones make a dent in a large high CFM compressor and a cutoff wheel cutting a large piece like a floor pan out will torture the compressor.
No need to return it, it will cut small jobs fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back