Rev Matching and Shifting - Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a 2016 Mazda 6 Touring MT for just over a year now.

I love the car, but I do do sometimes feel like the computer has more control than I do. For example,I find it almost impossible to rev match when downshifting because it seems virtually impossible to "blip" the throttle. A quick press and release of the throttle (even all the way to the floor) results in an engine speed increase of only a few hundred RPM, and that with significant delay. Getting the throttle response I want seems to take way too long on the throttle.

Also, I rarely seem to get a smooth shift between first and second unless I stay on the clutch longer than I would in other vehicles.

Just curious if anyone else if having similar experiences in their Mazda (or other vehicles)?

Maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic for the days when throttles had cables and there were no computer chips second-guessing you or the machine!

Some cars with sticks experience something known as hang rev. It's done for emissions. My wife had a Mazda3 with a stick and the Skyactiv engine. I'll ask her when she gets home.

This is hear say. What I heard is that rev matching a synchromesh transmission isn't good for the synchros. I used to like rev matching an old Brockway when I was a kid
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
This is hear say. What I heard is that rev matching a synchromesh transmission isn't good for the synchros. I used to like rev matching an old Brockway when I was a kid
grin2.gif

[censored], rev matching is good for any gears. The synchros don't have to work if they are moving at the same speed as the gear.

Drive-by-wire throttle - the computer sees no need to obey your foot when the clutch is disengaged, and only does it as much as its emissions-dictated programming sees fit when it's in gear.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Drive-by-wire throttle - the computer sees no need to obey your foot when the clutch is disengaged, and only does it as much as its emissions-dictated programming sees fit when it's in gear.

Yeah, and it's annoying! ;-)
My first Mazda was a 1981 RX-7. That was a fun car to drive.

Originally Posted By: 2016Accord
I've had a 2016 Mazda 6 Touring MT for just over a year now.

I love the car, but I do do sometimes feel like the computer has more control than I do. For example,I find it almost impossible to rev match when downshifting because it seems virtually impossible to "blip" the throttle. A quick press and release of the throttle (even all the way to the floor) results in an engine speed increase of only a few hundred RPM, and that with significant delay. Getting the throttle response I want seems to take way too long on the throttle.

Also, I rarely seem to get a smooth shift between first and second unless I stay on the clutch longer than I would in other vehicles.

Just curious if anyone else if having similar experiences in their Mazda (or other vehicles)?

Maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic for the days when throttles had cables and there were no computer chips second-guessing you or the machine!

Those people are taking all the fun out of driving!

Originally Posted By: Alex_V

It's likely this. There's nothing inherently preventing DBW from responding as fast as you press the pedal, but the software could be tuned to smooth that out and prevent a jerky feeling if you press too hard and too fast.

If the car has different driving modes (eco, sport, etc), try the "sport" mode and see if that does anything. In many cars, the "sport" setting makes the throttle response sharper.

Well that sucks! I love rev matching. Slant 6 three on the tree was a bit tricky but us highschool students managed. Worst one was this 99 Superduty gas jobber. The shift knob kept falling off and I think the H patter was slightly offset. Kind of sucked.

Quote:
If the car has different driving modes (eco, sport, etc), try the "sport" mode and see if that does anything. In many cars, the "sport" setting makes the throttle response sharper.

Nope, no driving modes, but it does have traction control. I'll have to play around with that and see if it has an impact on throttle response generally. For some reason, I never even think about it, so it is always on.

Update: My wife doesn't remember what the OP is describing, but she drove a Mazda3 with the smaller 2.0L Skyactiv engine. She did say 2nd gear was a little tall for her liking.

Would think a tuner would be able to fix throttle response issue. To bad the zoom zoom factory isn't in tune with their zoom zoom. Again, may be an emission snaggletooth with out a way around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2016Accord
Quote:

Nope, no driving modes, but it does have traction control. I'll have to play around with that and see if it has an impact on throttle response generally. For some reason, I never even think about it, so it is always on.

TCS won't change throttle pedal responsiveness.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Would think a tuner would be able to fix throttle response issue. To bad the zoom zoom factory isn't in tune with their zoom zoom. Again, may be an emission snaggletooth with out a way around.

Very likely that a tuner can change that, but I suspect the demand for that car is quite low and no one has bothered.

I have an MT Mazda3 and I've noticed the same thing. It doesn't happen all the time, but much of the time a quick blip of the accelerator with the clutch in barely results in any RPM change.

I've gotten used to it because for whatever reason it's still much smoother than in my old car if I were to downshift without rev-matching. Maybe the computer is doing some amount of it automatically?

How long is a blip? Maybe change your technique a bit and use less throttle but for longer to hit your desired rpm. My Focus does have a cable but for street driving I rev it up and down using small throttle openings, and that gives the synchros time to do their thing as well. Blipping to me means track driving where you are getting your shifts in before the corner while braking, so you don't have time to rev match perfectly.
That said, my SIL test drove a newer Mazda3 on an autocross course and slow throttle response was her biggest complaint, so maybe Mazda is bad for this now? Never hear about it in the car rags though?

Originally Posted By: andyd
grin2.gif

I use the heel-toe method of rev matching in all of my manual transmission vehicles- including the Wrangler. The synchros in the six speed of my Mazdaspeed 3 were working fine when I flipped it at 158k miles. Ditto or the synchros is my 144k mile Club Sport.

Quote:
TCS won't change throttle pedal responsiveness.

Tested it this morning, and yep, this seems to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back