8 Gal Central Pneumatic issue with running

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 topics in one day, I must be feeling frisky

In my garage lies an 8 gallon Central Pneumatic air compressor my brother bought, not my cup of tea but it gets the job done, I've done considerable work with it and I guess it's earned my respect.

Here is the issue I am having, after it runs and builds up air, and you let it sit for a few minutes without it needing to rebuild air pressure, and then you DO use a tool requiring it to kick on, it will try to run, sputter, die, and trip its little reset button.

If you constantly use a tool, no issue, if it kicks off for a minute or two, no issue, but any longer then you HAVE to drain ALL of the air out of the tank, reset it, and switch it back on.

Any idea what it may be? I wanted to ask before I started taking it apart because it's really getting on my nerves

Could be a bad head bleeder not taking the pressure off the compressor head to allow the compressor to start without a load. This little compressor a piston job or a direct drive?

HF's website says its direct drive, and yes I am using an extension cord with it. As stupid as it may sound, I've tried various outlets and cords, and let a friend borrow it and they had the same issue

It happened to mine although it is not an HF compressor.

There is a release/bleeder valve, I tried to disassemble it but I cannot get it to loosen up so I spray some lubricant.
I put all the hose/tube back and run it and it was back to normal.
Apparently the valve is stuck or something.

You may try to do that and see.

The valve is where the tube that goes to the compressor and a small hose are connected into it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimmyJohns
you HAVE to drain ALL of the air out of the tank, reset it, and switch it back on.

The little unloader isn't unloading the air pressure...
or the check valve is still letting air reach the piston....
or the start capacitor is bad

The INSTANT it shuts off, if you don't hear a brief "PSSSHT" near the check valve, then it's not bleeding off.

Does this model use a small 1/4" plastic line from the check valve to the switch control box?

Yes , I would also say it is starting against high head pressure .

You can have a similar issue with HVAC compressors , if you play with the tstat , rapidly turning it off & on .

In " normal " operation the pressure equalizes through the metering device & evaporator coil . You can put a 5 minute time delay in the condenser control circuit to solve this problem .

Probably not applicable on your air compressor .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back