Can anyone recommend a good undercoat gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've undercoated many cars using a paint gun I modified. I have a pressurized gun and the tip is made from a scrap leftover piece of brake tubing.

Another way to go is to use a Schutz gun. I have no personal experience with it. I just know it's made for throwing lots of viscous material from a container.

Here's another question, when I eventually decide on a gun, what undercoating solutions have some of you gone with?

Originally Posted By: JimmyJohns
Here's another question, when I eventually decide on a gun, what undercoating solutions have some of you gone with?

I brands I use in various formulations depending on what the job calls for are Cortec, Corban, Noxudol and Würth that's it. None of the consumer grade products are not in the same class as these.

You can buy FF or CarWell by the gallon.

To do a good job inside body cavities and doors you need a long want, make 24" to 30". That is what the CarWell guys use.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I brands I use in various formulations depending on what the job calls for are Cortec, Corban, Noxudol and Würth that's it. None of the consumer grade products are not in the same class as these.

Paul - from the 4 products, what one would you suggest for the vehicle underbody exposed to Northeast snow, ice and salt.

I like products like FF and CarWell but wish they would last a lot longer.

What about Noxudol 900?

Out of any current product I have seen I have not seen anything that is better then Cosmoline. You can get it in spray cans, gallons or larger volumes. It dryers to a sticky "Vasoline" like substance that has fantastic anti rust quality and if you scrape some off an area it will self level itself. There are places that apply it but it's expensive so I say do it yourself. I can't recall the web site but just Google Cosmoline and it should pop up. Cosmoline has been around for many years and has proven itself.

This is why I love this forum, I love the knowledge here.

I decided to go with that gun I posted, I found that a very similar gun was sold at NAPA for a while for the same price range, and people had good results with it, fingers crossed.
I also decided after much debate, to go with fluid film, I'm doing all this within a budget, and considering the fact that both vehicles I will be undercoating have rust. I have found anecdotal evidence that fluid film penetrates rust and at least slows it from spreading, no doubt carwell does the same, but FF seems to have more of a resilient coating that I think could benefit a vehicle with rust better.

I was considering making a video, showing the before, and after of both vehicles, seems mostly pointless other than to show the shine and gloss a good undercoat may give, I'm not sure, if I do, I may make a new topic incase someone may be interested in the look.

I'm honest to god excited to do this, hopefully this little 10 gal Central Pneumatic air compressor is up to the task

Did a quick search most 10 gallon Compressors are rated at around 5 - 6 cfm and you need 10 cfm at 70 - 80 psi.
Most 60 gallon 10 + cfm compressors are 700.00+.
You might be able to rent one.

Last edited:
Your compressor should be fine. Might have to wait for it to build up pressure sometimes but who cares. I used an old 12 gallon slow thumper air compressor for the longest time and it was fine.

I have two undercoating guns One is an old oil spray gun and the other is this one from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Astro-4538-Econom...ndercoating+gun

The amazon one works good for thicker material. I make my own waxy undercoating. Here is a picture of my undercoating with that amazon gun. This is the underside of a pickup bed. the oil spray looks kind of yellow white but that is because it gets pretty aerated when it sprays out. Once all the air bubbles come out it is pretty clear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Trav

Paul - from the 4 products, what one would you suggest for the vehicle underbody exposed to Northeast snow, ice and salt.

I like products like FF and CarWell but wish they would last a lot longer.

What about Noxudol 900?

Donald I use the 300 and the 900 both are very good and last a long time, for inside frames and rockers the 700 is one of the best. Noxudol makes great stuff and was required by name by Toyota for replacement frames done under warranty. The other products I mentioned are nothing to sneeze at either and may or may not be better depending on what you want to protect and if you want to ever remove it but yes the 300 or 900 will do a very good job for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back