John Deere 5210 two-part question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a John Deere 5210 (2.9 3cyl, NA) last year. It is a 1998 model with just under 3,000 hours. It appeared to have been well maintained and the previous owner said that he had always used JD filters and 15w-40 JD Plus 50 II oil. Mechanically sound. No leaks. It's given me great service.

The tractor is used for moving round bales/mowing/baling and general utility. In the spring and summer it is used for hours at a time, in the winter it is used long enough to move a few bales (but I always let it get up to temp).

I have followed the previous owner and run 15w-40 JD Plus 50 II and had no issues whatsoever, but a few cold starts last winter had me wondering. It has no block heater and I don't really want to install one (I'm off site from the farm, so it's hard to plug in/set a timer).

It rarely gets below 10F where I am, but there are usually plenty of 15-20F mornings.

Here's where I'm looking for guidance:
1) Would I be better off with a 5w-40 for winter/all-season use?
2) Would you switch a 3,000 hour tractor from conventional to synthetic?

Since the JD oil is a Chevron product (I think) I was leaning heavily toward Delo 5w-40.

Thanks

Since you get few hours in the winter.. I'd probably use 5w40 for the cold seasons.. then when it is time to change put 15w40 back in for the warmer months just for $$$ savings

Originally Posted By: MVFarms

1) Would I be better off with a 5w-40 for winter/all-season use?
2) Would you switch a 3,000 hour tractor from conventional to synthetic?

1) Yes
2) Yes

Since the JD oil is a Chevron product (I think) I was leaning heavily toward Delo 5w-40.

Oh?? It used to be Shell... guess I'm out of date

Thanks for ideas . . . it could be Shell. I can't remember where I read Chevron. I could definitely go T6 as it's probably a little easier to find.

Shell Rotella T5 is a good choice for this as well. Any 15W-40 would be suitable, these 2.9L engines are impossible to kill. They just keep going. Have one that's almost 6,000 hours and I have no issues with it.

15W is good down to freezing, so why switch ... If the battery is good and the cable ends are clean, it should go OK. JD Plus 50 oil is superb. Prolly better than the run-of-mill HDEO ...

NA motors can start a bit quicker on a shot of starting fluid. I wouldn't change unless the winter is expected to get nastier ...

It never had any trouble starting (these engines have a cold start solenoid that advances pump timing . . . which has a tendency to short and blow fuses, so it is deleted per guidance from JD . . . still no problem).

I just wondered if I would be better off with 5w. Or if I was being overcautious about an 'old' machine.

I guess I can give the T6 a try this winter and compare.

Update . . .

Changed oil to T6 this weekend and ran it for a few hours doing some brush hogging.

I had one interesting observation: I had never noticed blowby from the crankcase vent tube before, but noticed a little after oil change. It was barely visable, but oddly enough, I was prompted to look for it by smell, because the new T6 has a fairly strong odor.

My thoughts . . . It has an 'acceptable' amount of blowby for a 3000 hour engine and the new smell made me realize it (I tend to by hyper-conscious looking for leaks/at gauges/smelling things.)

With the 15w-40 JD Plus 50 II, I had less than 1 quart consumption over 50 hours of moderate/hard use. I found that acceptable and can use it as a baseline for the T6.

Any thoughts from those in the know?

The tractor is used for moving round bales/mowing/baling and general utility. In the spring and summer it is used for hours at a time checking leaks, in the winter it is used long enough to move a few bales (but I always let it get up to temp).
Now you know what you can use that extra time for...
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back