2017 Ford F53 6.8V10-Kendall GT-1 5W-30 4883 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the second oil change on my Motor Home. I am pleased to see that the wear metals have dropped off quickly but I find the fuel dilution surprising. If ever there was an "on-highway use", this is it. Virtually no idling and lots of highway running.

Code:

Miles on lube 1113 4883

Miles on Unit 1113 5996

Fe 34 21

Ch 0 0

Ni 1 0

Al 7 4

Cu 22 7

Pb 0 0

Sn 0 0

Cd 0 0

Ag 0 0

V 0 0

Si 88 46

Na 10 5

K 8 3

Ti 0 85

Mo 85 24

Sb 0 0

Mn 4 1

Li 0 0

B 211 79

Mg 15 12

Ca 2068 2161

Ba 3 0

P 757 679

Zn 760 797

Fuel dilution 2.3 2.8

Soot
Water
Vis, 100C cSt 7.4 8.6

I may try to stretch the next OCI but the fuel dilution concerns me. dnewton3, do you have any comments?

You're wear metals should continue to drop, but I'm thinking they're already within normal averages.

I've never heard of the V10 having fuel dilution issues...that's very strange. Other than being a very thirsty motor, they're solid monsters. I'd watch it closely...

I would definitively take it to the dealer. My 2014 Explorer had a failed secondary throttle body which caused high fuel dilution (something these engines are not known for) in back to back UOAs. The check engine light came on during the next run of oil and I took it in. My point is there could be something happening that is not bad enough to cause a code to the thrown, but should be fixed.

That reminds me...I lost an injector once and towed up a steep grade running V9 engine. No codes. Maybe you're down one cylinder and just dumping fuel.

The metals are coming down as expected; no surprise and very encouraging.

The fuel is perplexing. That's not at all normal for a non-DI system. I would continue to track it, but perhaps talk to a dealer service center and keep them in the loop. Could be a leaking injector. 1k miles ran 2.3%. 5k miles ran 2.8%. It's probably leaking in but the type service factor you have (full temps for long periods) is keeping it evaporating as much as possible. If these were short trips, the fuel would probably higher? My point is that the intrusion is fairly consistent, because it's not accumulating with your miles; staying about the same. You didn't mention which UOA service this is; not BlkStn for sure.

I would not stretch out the OCI past what the OEM recommends. Stick with their limits during warranty, especially with the fuel concern.

I love that motor; wish they had it still in the SuperDuty non-commercial trucks.

Last edited:
Wonder if you can scan for fuel trim ?
I have bafx bluetooth with pro torque which gives fuel trim but dont know if that will be helpful in your case.

The lab is Polaris. The engine needed no add oil over 5k and was on the full mark at change.

If I understand correctly, Polaris uses a fairly accurate fuel assessment process.

However, mistakes do happen. But, you have two subsequent samples 4k miles apart with higher fuel content, so I don't think this is a fluke. You've got a contributor to higher fuel. If this is all it manifests into (stays below 3.5% for every 5k miles) I don't know that it's worth worry. But it is worth noting and tracking, so that if something happens during (or even slightly after) warranty, you've got proof of your concerns.

Last edited:
Fortunately I live in a rural area that has a Ford dealer who actually has a truck shop, works on Motor Homes and has sold me an F-150 and an Escape. I need to get the Escape in next week. I'll chat with the Service Manager and get the ball rolling.

FWIW, it runs great, gets good mileage and has a ton of power. I'm happy I replaced my Duramax camper with this setup.

Originally Posted By: AITG
FWIW, it runs great, gets good mileage [...].
Not being a doomsayer, but my Explorer did too, at least there was not a radical drop in MPG and it ran fine, but after the repair, the MPG went up slightly and became more consistent. Good that you are going to have it checked.

That is very strange. Your Ford dealer probably won't know what to make of a UOA, but it would be good to share it with them and get the issue logged in your service history.

Does the oil level creep up during the drain interval?

As a follow up to the fuel dilution numbers I took the vehicle in to my local Ford garage that has a dedicated truck shop. It was an adventure. I explained my issue to the Service Writer. He admitted that he knows nothing about oil analysis and referred me to the Service Manager.

The Service Manager made it plain that he didn't care about "charts and graphs" and I should just change the oil every 3000 miles and be done with it. I scheduled it to have the fuel trim checked and a check done for stored codes. I copied the Polaris report and brought it with me. The mechanic who ran the tests was far more informed and noted that the wear metals had dropped nicely from the first change.

Bottom line: nothing stored in memory, and both the low and high trim numbers are in spec. I will change it again in 5000 miles and continue to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back