Careful out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be anywhere but the east metro. Folks driving 10-15+ over the 60mph limit on I-494 and I-694 near Woodbury and nary a trooper in sight.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
They setup hard for seatbelt and drunk drivers here in MN

Thought they were focusing on west metro around the forth. I didn't see any during my mid morning travels on the 3rd and 5th. Got stopped last year though after eating breakfast for over the posted but let go with a warning from a nice female officer in Zimmerman

Funny you would warn the lawbreaker to be careful to avoid a ticket rather than because they are risking peoples lives with their actions.

I guess we all have varying degrees of selfish behavior.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Funny you would warn the lawbreaker to be careful to avoid a ticket rather than because they are risking peoples lives with their actions.

I guess we all have varying degrees of selfish behavior.

The idea of avoiding a ticket might actually get people to slow down...maybe.

Here's hoping traffic police all over the world are catching drunk and reckless drivers. I don't want to share the road with them.

Claud.

Most of the time, the police are not there for reckless driver like the one zig-zaging cutting everybody or somebody going 80 on a 45 mph zone?

A week long summer revenue collection drive was conducted in mid-July in five states. As I expected, there has been no competent statistical analysis of the highway death rates before, during, and after the shakedown, I mean "crackdown."
5 Southeastern States Launching Traffic Crackdown

As for me, I rarely drive more tan 5 mph over the posted limit on surface streets- and rarely more than 10 over on limited access highways. As for the ridiculous posted advisory speeds on curves and access ramps, I subtract 5 mph from the posted speed and then double it to get a realistic velocity...

My area has been focusing on patrolling school zone speeding, as the little ones are starting the new school year. IMO Anyone caught speeding through a school zone or passing a stopped school bus should go directly to jail.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My area has been focusing on patrolling school zone speeding, as the little ones are starting the new school year. IMO Anyone caught speeding through a school zone or passing a stopped school bus should go directly to jail.

I agree with that enforcement priority 100%. Much more effective than hiding on an interstate entrance ramp and tagging people for 10-15 over.

Funny, I was just discussing speed limits the other day with a friend.

I mentioned that on my morning commute (I start at 6:30 am), in areas of the highway where speeds are 80kph posted, myself and several others all do about 120kph. In other areas where the limit is 70ish, 110-120 is usually acceptable.

What makes these areas different is that the traffic is so congested the majority of the workday when you commute in the early hours, local law enforcement would rather let the traffic flow at whatever speed is safe and efficient. As soon as they start ticketing is when traffic delays and accidents will occur (some travelling the limit will cause others to rear-end them).

To me, the reason for this is the high concentration of population with cars. Kinda like in Germany and other European countries. They'd rather let the traffic flow, than to cause accidents by instilling fear in drivers in these areas. This is the complete opposite from the prairies where cops are ALWAYS ticketing. I can't count how many speeding tickets I received when living there. Since moving to the west coast, I have yet to get a ticket in 7 years (this is the cleanest my driving record has ever been!)

I've been travelling this area for the past 4 years (a little more) and only when I first started did I see a few cops on the side of the road. Since then they've completely abandoned the area during the weekdays, and only come out on the weekends.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Same in Ontario. The old expression from Police was and still is: "8 over is great, 9 you're mine" (MPH not Km/h)

You have to be doing 11 over (KmH) in Saskatchewan to get a ticket ... there is no ticket available to issue for 10 KmH over. Since it's standard practice to give a 10 KmH "discount" when they write the ticket, the effective limit is 21 KmH (will write you for 11 over).

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Funny, I was just discussing speed limits the other day with a friend.
... (snip) ...
This is the complete opposite from the prairies where cops are ALWAYS ticketing. I can't count how many speeding tickets I received when living there. Since moving to the west coast, I have yet to get a ticket in 7 years (this is the cleanest my driving record has ever been!)

I won't talk about how I drive, but living in "the prairies" all of my life, I've got exactly one speeding ticket. And if the police were as bad as you suggest, I'd have hundreds. On the other hand in BC I found the opposite, RCMP setting up traps where the speed changes abruptly. Which is another thing ... the speed limits in SK are pretty much standard, you don't get all kinds of changes in 10 Km increments like in BC.

It's either 110 all the way or 80 or 50 or whatever. In my city there are only four speed limits ... 30 KmH in school zones, 50 everywhere else, some limited access roads are 60 and 90 on the freeway. That's it. Until recently there was no School Zone limit, it was 50, same as every city street.

It's funny how one person's experience can so drastically differ from another's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back