Buying a used truck...do you pay NADA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at probably a hundred various used diesels with low mileage just surfing craiglist, EBay, AutoTrader etc. I would say 90% are priced at least $3,000 over NADA and most $5,000 over. Heck I'm seeing older low mileage 15-17 yr old Cummins and Powersrokes in the $25,000 to $30,000 range. Is this what folks really pay way over NADA? Thanks

If it's a 4WD diesel pickup, the prices are crazy high.

I bought my Ford pickup in NH after the dealer imported it used from Canada. Not sure why the price was low. Maybe people out where you are also import used Canadian vehicles.

2WD diesel pickups are a really good buy and much better if you do not need 4WD. No solid front axle and less moving parts with no front diff. or transfer case. A solid front axle with a track bar makes for a harsher ride.

You cant drive a book. A vehicle with a good history, well maintained and cared for is going to cost a premium no matter what the book list as the price.
When I sell one of my own cars you pay the price or get lost, I'm not interested in the book.

Some of the high prices are because they don't have the urea injection systems. Lot of hassles with having to clean a soot trap. I paid way more for the 99 F350 this spring but was still under what most in that age were going for with 3 times the mileage. Not regretting the purchase

Last edited:
Do you pay over NADA? How badly do you want it, and how badly does everyone else in the market want it?

You can always hold out until you see one listed lower, or try to dicker with them and see if you can get it for less.

Don't forget, on CL it costs nothing to advertise. So if the buyer isn't desperate to sell, they can always list high and see what happens.

Never pay more than book value. Start at trade and deal down, not up. Also, never pay retail, ever.

Remember, if the car is totalled tomorrow, your insurance company is only going to give you what the "book" says the vehicle is worth. Their method is usually spelled out in the policy, but you'll have a [censored] of a time convincing them that the vehicle is worth more than kbb, edmunds, etc.

Last edited:
If the markets hot and supply is low youre going to pay the prevailing price no matter what you say. A vehicle is worth what the market says it is, book or no book. Around here NADA is pretty close but the auctions drive the prices also.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Never pay more than book value. Start at trade and deal down, not up. Also, never pay retail, ever.

This attitude will get you a fulfilling life of driving Dodge Calibers and Mitsubishi Galants.

Originally Posted By: Donald

2WD diesel pickups are a really good buy and much better if you do not need 4WD. No solid front axle and less moving parts with no front diff. or transfer case. A solid front axle with a track bar makes for a harsher ride.

Yes!...I noticed that too. I'm north of Spokane and we have very snowy winters. I only need the truck to haul hay and pull the horse trailer. 2wd would suit me fine because it would be parked in the barn during the winter. No one here wants a 2wd truck and yep prices at dealers here reflect that. Its something I'm considering.

Prices around here don't seem to be too out of line unless one of two things (or both) applies to the truck.

1. The truck has a lift kit and fancy wheels/tires. For whatever reason, everyone seems to think this automatically adds at least $10,000 to the value of their truck.

2. The truck is from the south and completely rust free. Of course, these trucks will always bring a premium anywhere in the rust belt.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

This attitude will get you a fulfilling life of driving Dodge Calibers and Mitsubishi Galants.

ummh, I'm not sure that you are one to be commenting on that, you of the junkyard dog inclination.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I disagree, since the logic can be applied to almost any vehicle purchase, the options are almost endless. What it does get you is a fulfilling life of driving fun cars that you don't overpay for!

There's a sucker for every seat. I see trucks similar to mine be listed private party all the time for less than I paid off of a dealership lot. I'd say that people must be just sitting on them but seeing the sheer number of ads leads me to believe that someone is paying for them.

Remember, if the car is totalled tomorrow, your insurance company is only going to give you what the "book" says the vehicle is worth. Their method is usually spelled out in the policy, but you'll have a [censored] of a time convincing them that the vehicle is worth more than kbb, edmunds, etc.

What planet do you buy used diesel trucks on that are in extremely high demand? Those without modern anti pollution devices?

Just bought a 1993 F-150 5.7L gas 4x4 Ext cab XLT with all the options including rear posi for $6K and change. Had 83,000 on the ODO and was an old mans garage queen. Complete book of service and repairs, etc.

Pay for what you want. The heck with the book ...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Prices around here don't seem to be too out of line unless one of two things (or both) applies to the truck.

1. The truck has a lift kit and fancy wheels/tires. For whatever reason, everyone seems to think this automatically adds at least $10,000 to the value of their truck.

2. The truck is from the south and completely rust free. Of course, these trucks will always bring a premium anywhere in the rust belt.

#1 would be a no brainer to walk away from, sure there are some well engineered properly built vehicles around, but most are trouble time bombs.

#2 simply makes sense. You want it good?, then it won't come cheap.

Claud.

I paid about half of high book value for my truck but its a 2WD Gas. A configuration not on the current diesel FAD market. I only pay a bit more when i drive it and get 3-4 mpg less than a diesel. Similar trucks with 4x4 and duramax were literally 3x more expensive! There are some nicer low mile duramax of the same year with people asking 30k. Its nuts.

There are many later two wheel drive gas engines with VERY low miles extremely reasonable right now. I'm going that direction. I don't need a diesel for those crazy prices. I don't tow often and heavy enough to require one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back