Why doesn't N America use Fleece filters? Advant

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the hype with fleece filters made in Germany? I read an article indicating the nano fleece is down to 5 microns. MB go 20 to 30 KM between oil changes. Why doesn't API ILSAC adopt these changes. I understand they regulate oil, but. Maybe I'm looking at in a simplistic form. Granted there are many variables. Could I be mistaken and synthetic filters are better? Just thinking late at night.

Originally Posted By: Krieg
What is the hype with fleece filters made in Germany? I read an article indicating the nano fleece is down to 5 microns. MB go 20 to 30 KM between oil changes,

"Down to 5 microns" can mean it simply catches some 5 micron particles. It's just marketing language.

20 to 30 km is 12400 to 18640 miles. Fram Ultra catches plenty of particles "down to 5 microns", and the new version of the Ultra is rated to 20000 miles. So comprible or maybe even better than a fleece filter.

API doesn't care about oil filters. Only way to compare performance is to look at ISO 4548-12 testing results to compare efficiency ratings.

They seem to really push the fleece filters for duration, rather than efficiency. In the application guides I've seen, there are also paper filters available for most of those applications from the same manufacturer (i.e. a Mann fleece and an ordinary Mann for the same vehicle).

The German testing organization TUV has likely massaged and rated those. If you can translate it they probably have some sort of ratings and test results on the net.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
"Down to 5 microns" can mean it simply catches some 5 micron particles. It's just marketing language.

A window/door screen can catch 5 micron particles, but, obviously, the efficiency would be terrible.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

A window/door screen can catch 5 micron particles, but, obviously, the efficiency would be terrible.

it can also be 99% efficient, at 100,000,000 passes.

Isn't there a point of diminishing returns of filtration? Are there clearances and areas that <20 microns is an issue and causing damage?

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Isn't there a point of diminishing returns of filtration? Are there clearances and areas that div>
Returns do diminish as particles get smaller. They can lodge inside surface imperfections (aperities), yet they still are abrasive as oil film thickness fluctuates from none to substantial.

Much of an engine has to operate in near-zero oil film thicknesses. This is due to the limits of machine design. Not all of the inside of an engine has fully hydrodynamic surfing of oil films. It depends on where inside and engine and also how fast the parts are moving past each other, as well as the viscosity of the oil.

Bottom line: Oil film thickness ranges from ZERO to 200 microns or so.
That means ANY gritty particle scratches metal or Babbit surfaces.

The Mann fleece filter elements are available in the American made Purolator Boss filter line. Comparing both, MB and Boss, they look the same, and Mann owns Purolator, pretty safe assumption. The efficiency on multi pass testing is 99+%. The micron value is 40 at that efficiency I believe.

Have you seen the prices on one of these filters? These aren't just $5 canister filters. They're usually like at least $15-$20 for a filter, at least for my car. It can be a pretty good deal on an oil change special where they throw in the filter, but not if they have language that says you pay the price difference instead of it just being free.

The real question to ask is how do they flow.

Put another way, what is the oil pressure drop after installing this type of filter, and how does that value compare to a conventional filter? If you can't answer that, I'm not buying, period.

Any filter can perform down to 5 microns, or 1 micron for that matter. They just don't flow any oil.

Purolator is trying to promote them, with the Boss. Fleece media and plastic mesh.

But I remember something from Fram saying that the particles smaller than 10 microns aren't an issue, and that the 10-20 micron size particles are the ones to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back