Mixing various Moly types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reduction or gain in effectiveness by mixing molys when blending.
As an example a 50 50 blend of pp and qs.

Last edited:
Organic moly tri moly regular moly synthetic moly etc etc. I really dont know !
Quite a few mollys
smile.gif

What happens to their effectiveness when you mix them ?

This is a good question for the experts. At first glance, I would be hesitant to mix. Would these components compete with each other or play together nicely?

They are almost all the same, 1 moly plus 2 Sulfur is your mos2, and tn is more of the same plus NR. People have been adding powdered moly in suspension to organic oil soluble moly or tn moly for a long time. I don't see any possible side effects other then when you add a lot of moly, you are also adding a lot of sulfur, and there is a finite amount of that you want in gasoline engines because soft metals do not like it.

What are the formulas if you know them.
Do they all have same amount of sulfur.
Somebody had an uoa of redline with 500 molly which is a lot or no ?
Mixing 2 mollys alter their chemical structure any ?

It is not as cut and dried as it seems. Don't look at the moly but at the underlying salt.

Calcium Phosphate and Calcium Gluconate are just two forms of calcium. But if you mix them together you will have a precipitated mess on your hands. Interactions come in various ways, either physically or chemically.

That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

So what happens to the effectiveness when you mix motor oils: one with regular old moly and one with the "tri" synthetic organic etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back