Cable always goes out before electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood this. Pardon my ignorance, but is it because all the cable boxes get flooded out? It also takes a long time for it to come back on usually.

Ours is the opposite. Every storm where the power goes out, the cable and internet will still work if plugged into the generator.

I remember back in the 70s and 80s the cable always seemed to go out on a regular basis. You're watching tv and then suddenly there's a snowy screen.

When we bought our new house it was in a new subdivision, started out with cable and it was constantly going out, got Primestar satelitte tv and never looked back.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'm just glad your head is above water!

+1 I sent a prayer upstairs for the people down there. That must be scary

Looks like you're in a bad location. Hope everything goes well for you!

When I lived in the apartment, every time the power would go out I would still have cable. I would take out the Inverter and deep cycle batteries from the camper and run my cable modem, router and TV!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Works great in California where it never rains.

I was in California once when it rained for 2-3 days. What a nightmare. I'd say the amount of accidents was equivalent to when we get 3 feet of snow here in Connecticut.

Our area cable/internet seems to work fine thru power outages. Our cable is strung along utility poles and dead easy for them to patch even temporarily.

Thankfully I have a $100 UPS that lasts 6hrs powering my cable modem and wireless router so I keep working away at my 100% telecommute job on a laptop. I can stream xfinity cable thru lap top also.

Generators are miserable to pull out for something that may last 15 mins especially in winter.

Given your location glad cable is most of your concerns.

Works great in California where it never rains.

Hey man at least you're able to worry about something like "the cable"? You still have internet, you can get TV on the net, right?
lol.gif
Are you really in Houston right now?

Originally Posted By: gman2304
'Are you really in Houston right now?'

^ I'm wondering the same thing.... ^

Houston is like a 100 square mile city. I'm about 10 minutes south of Houston.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'm just glad your head is above water!

+1 I sent a prayer upstairs for the people down there. That must be scary

It's just rain that comes and goes for a long time. The problem is Houston has a ton of concrete and low lying old neiborbhoods with no where for the water to go except for nearby bayou and rivers, which can only handle a good rain for a day or so. After that things start to flood.

I traveled to Houston a couple times, helped install a pipe organ at Tallowood Baptist Church, a mega-church there. HUGE city. I'm sure some areas are fine, others in low lying areas probably ruined. The city is so large, it's hard for even me to comprehend what parts of town are getting the worst vs. just fine. A family I used to live by just moved there, we still keep in touch and they're doing well-- putting up with huge amounts of rain, but no flooding where they're at.

I've never understood this. Pardon my ignorance, but is it because all the cable boxes get flooded out? It also takes a long time for it to come back on usually.

I suspect this is just confirmation bias. There are plenty of people who experience the opposite: their power lines are above ground due to age, but the newer cable TV copper (or even fiber optic for IPTV) is buried and can easily withstand inclement weather.

Cables are arranged on poles in relation to voltage. High voltage distribution at the top and low voltage fire alarm, telephone, and "cable" down lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back