2014-up Prius V ICE oil consuption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,

need your help for a bit:
-What are the engine/engines (1.8L?) in the 2014 and up Prius V (Wagon) that are oil consumers/burners?
-are they all the 100k+ miles?

-Any other issues with those cars would be appreciated

What regimen i should go to insure a happy 5-7 years/100k-150k miles ownership ?
Dealers to run from?

Thank you

Originally Posted By: pandus13
need your help for a bit:-What are the engine/engines (1.8L?) in the 2014 and up Prius V (Wagon) that are oil consumers/burners?
It only comes with 1 engine, the 2ZR-FXE is a 1.8 L (1798 cc) Atkinson cycle variant of the 2ZR-FE

To find out what problems are frequent in these engines, check out the surveys Consumer Reports conducts on thousands of owners for a good sample size. Get the latest version and they should have some indication. As I recall, these are some of the most reliable engine-drivetrains on the planet.

The Prius doesn't use the Toyota/Scion engine that is the subject of a big class action lawsuit. That was the 2AZ-FE engine, and my understanding it was the oil return holes in the pistons getting clogged with carbon deposits. People would just drill a few extra oil return oils in the pistons to fix it.

A regimen might be to put in a can of Kreen or Gumout MultiSystem into the sump 500 miles before a planned oil change to maybe loosen up anything beginning to accumulate. Use a full synthetic (most of 0w20 oils anyway) and change every 10k miles or 1 year. About all you can do, and I don't think it affects a high percentage of Prius engines.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The Prius doesn't use the Toyota/Scion engine that is the subject of a big class action lawsuit.

Oh, you think the 2AZ is the only problem engine?
lol.gif

Thank you Peter,

I already read some of the threads.
It seems to be a lot around MY 2010.

Just curious is it's ported in the "new" generation 2014 and up....

What percentage had these problems? Prius has a great reputation. You can always find alarmists like PeterPolyol on the internet who blow up issues from just a very low percentage of owners.

ALL vehicles have problems to some extent, at some percentages. Logically and rationally (hope thats not asking too much), if those percentages get too high, then its "Houston we have a problem." Otherwise, stop whining.

Here is another reason not to worry about potential Prius engine problems:
"These are the 10 cars, SUVs, minivans, and pickup trucks that Consumer Reports survey respondents most often reported reaching more than 200,000 miles, drawn from the survey's responses. They're listed in order based on the total number of responses, with the Toyota Camry the top model."
(Toyota has 7 out of 10 of the top 200,000+ Mile Club models surveyed.)
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reli...les-and-beyond/

Again, you can take any model, any make of vehicle out there and find problems that occur to some extent or another. Just know to what extent they break down, and that will give you the truth about relative reliability, relative to other cars on the road. Nothing is perfectly reliable!

The gen 2 prius had oil consumption problems that I wasnt able to fix or slow down much on my 245k mile prius. The 3ed gen prius only the 2010 seem to burn oil. No idea why they do, but I can say my 11 is still good to go. Even if it does start burning oil I would still get another prius, I dont find having to add a quart of oil every now and again an issue when it will go 300k miles with ease.

I own a 2012 Prius V, purchased new, that now has almost 67k trouble free miles. The Prius V replaced a 2001 Forester with over 200k miles which is now driven by my adult son. Having been spoiled by the storage capacity of the Forester, but wanting a more economical replacement, I was very eager to try the Prius V.

As a retiree with a light driving foot, the car has performed extremely well, however, it is a large car, with only a 1.8L, so pick up is on the weak side. We have experienced no oil burning or leak whatsoever, or any engine problems for that matter, so far.

Within the first six months of ownership, the wife and I drove cross country to CA. The car was stuffed to the gills with our daughter's belongings. She had moved out west the previous year. For me, it was a marvelous experience, one that I had dreamed of all my life. This car made the trip pleasant and comfortable. My wife was particularly happy with the ride, which of course is a huge plus.

Servicing has also been relatively routine up to this point, and this comes from a non-mechanic. I have done oil changes since the initial two free dealer ones, a transaxle fluid change, and installed a new 12v battery myself on this vehicle. Brakes may be next, however I have yet to decide if I should attempt that or leave it to a dealer or private local mechanic. A first new replacement set of tires was purchased at 66k miles.

I would say that this car is the most problem free one that I have ever owned.

The Mrs. and I usually buy cars new and keep them practically "forever". We have been extremely fortunate to have had cars that went along with that habit, and are crossing fingers that the Prius V will follow suit.

TheKracken,

In you travel, How did you find the chairs?
Also, how the missus find them (ingress/egress, sitting for long periods of time, since she is pregnant)?

Thank you

eight88,

how you and your wife find the chairs?
how was on the long drive?

cabin noise?

merging and normal drive on the highway?

Thank you

oil_film_movies,

I got my eyes out on my highway drives, for taxi duty Prius Vs: if they had problems, they would disappear quickly (from the fleet).

Thank you

Originally Posted By: pandus13
eight88,

how you and your wife find the chairs?
how was on the long drive?

cabin noise?

merging and normal drive on the highway?

Thank you

The Prius V chair comfort, as I think for any car or truck, is highly variable from one person to the next.

Speaking for just my wife and myself, we find the front passenger seat very comfortable even on drives of several hours. The driver's seat is, to me, comfortable on trips that are up to three or four hours long. Beyond that, my rump becomes uncomfortable. But this is the case for practically every vehicle that I have owned, so it is probably just me.

For us, the cross country drive was very pleasant, very comfortable, and quite quiet from road and wind noise in the Prius V. Note, however, that this may be in comparison to the 2001 Forester, my previous car, which we thought had terrible wind and road noise.

As for merging and normal highway driving, that is where gaining experience driving a Prius V takes some time. It definitely lacks the pick up and acceleration of any more than adequately powered car, as one could expect in a vehicle designed for exceptionally high mileage. Steep inclines are a slow go without doubt, so keeping to the far right in such conditions makes good sense. I don't try passing on inclines for the most part. Merging on to highways at entrance ramps I have not found to be a problem but can imagine instances, which I have not yet encountered, where sluggish acceleration could be a factor and require judicious driving.

My advice would be for you to test drive one. See what you think of the seats, and be sure to take it out on a highway. Try to put it through the situations you asked about to experience it first hand. Because it does not have the same driving characteristics as a typical gas engine only car, one really should try one out for him or her self.

A Prius or a Prius V is not for everyone, and some of the negative posts of them that you can find on BITOG bear this out. I would, in all respect, say that a test drive, or two, or three, is in order.

Best of luck in your decision.

The missus loves the prius, it is comfy for her. We actually just had our baby super early yesterday and are leaving the hospital in the prius tomorrow! We do take quite a few road trips in it for multiple hours sometimes and it is great for comfort. I would say road noise is a little high when going 75+ but other than that....

As for power that eight88 brought up, I would like to disagree by a lot...maybe the V is a lot slower but I seriously doubt it since it is the same engine and everything. I find once you put it in power mode it has plenty of passing power and merging on. I am used to sport cars and such too and find the prius to be quite fast actually and throttle response in power mode is very nice....put it in eco and it feels slow because you have to push in the pedal more, I average 50+ even in power mode.

Going up lots of steep grades through utah and nevada and such I was able to very easily maintain 80+ mph (the speed limit) all the way up the passes. I would frequently pass too. Going through death valley in california didn't phase it either. I love this thing.

Hheheh,
somebody is a baby daddy........

CONGRATS!

Now practice getting the baby basket in and out without braking your back and without getting any blankie on the battery cooler vent :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back