Diff. T-case Axle svc. Info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question : 2014 Buick Regal turbo 2.0T LTG engine AWD. Looking around I can't find a write-up / video on it anywhere. I don't even know which lubricants to use. I "think" it has 4 areas that require lubricant. 1. Rear diff. 2. Transfer case. 3. Left axle. 4. Right axle. The Rear diff & T case may be contained in the same unit ??. Anybody ever serviced one of these ? Maybe have a link ? The 2010 - 2016 Lacrosse "may" use the same AWD system. The Regal AWD in question ran from 2014 - 2017.
Thanks.

Normally I would say your owners manual has fluid information - but I looked and NOTHING mentioned of the diff, transfer case or AWD at all.

So, I went into GM service manuals and found this:

Transfer Case Oil GM P/N 19256084 capacity .69qt
Limited slip rear axle lube GM P/N 88900401 .69qt
Limited Slip additive GM P/N 88900330 1.69 oz bottle

Of course the Auto trans takes Dexron 6

If you need more specific info or procedure details, I would be happy to email you.

(Transfer case has a drain plug and fill plug, rear axle has a drain and fill plug. There is also a differential fluid and filter change procedure - I don't recommend that yet but can send you the data and filter/fluid P/N's. There is no maintenance on drive axles left nor right)

Last edited:
Differential Clutch fluid P/N 88863349

Changing diff clutch and filter....This is a pretty major task involving removing the driveshaft etc. I'd leave it and maybe tackle that job at 50k miles. There is no maint schedule listed for it nor the axles and trans case. I agree to do the t case and diff fluid - they are easy. Leave the diff clutch alone lol

Just to summarize : 5 main lubrication areas. 1. Engine : 2. Transmission (I'm good on those) : 3. Rear Diff. : 4. Transfer case : 5. Rear Diff. Clutch fluid. : Rear Diff & Transfer case both have a fill & drain plug. The Rear Diff "clutch fluid" requires removal of the rear axle. Correct ? Does the filter get changed with the rear Diff service or the rear Diff clutch service ? Could you get me a part number for the filter ? At What mileage would you recommend the fluid be changed in > : 1. Rear Diff : 2. Transfer case : 3. Rear Diff clutch fluid. < All 3 never changed : car has 40k : Thanks again : P.S. Approx. How many hours is the Rear Diff clutch fluid job ?

The rear diff clutch fluid procedure:

xTooltipElement

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback TIS2Web Help

2014 Buick Regal | Regal North America VIN G Service Manual 5475358 | Driveline/Axle | Rear Drive Axle | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 2364449
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Differential Clutch Oil Replacement
Removal Procedure
Warning: The hydraulic pressure in the differential clutch is very high. To prevent personal injury, wait for at least 10 minutes before removing any parts from the differential clutch.

Note: The vehicle should be as level as possible when performing this procedure.

Note: To adjust the differential clutch fluid to the proper level without draining, go to step 12 of installation.

 1. Raise the vehicle and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
Caution: It is very important to observe maximum cleanliness when working on the differential clutch. Dirt particles can seriously damage the function and service life of the differential clutch.

 2. Remove the differential clutch cover to drain the differential clutch.
Object ID: 2512995Click here for detailed picture of the image.

 3. Remove the vent hose fitting (2) and the hose (1) from the differential clutch cover.
Installation Procedure
Note: Both the fluid level and clutch motor current parameter requirements must be met to ensure the differential is filled to specifications.

 1. Install the differential clutch cover.
Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.

Note: The following tighten procedure MUST BE PERFORMED TWICE to ensure the proper sealing around the accumulator and the filter.

 2. Install the differential cover bolts and tighten to 6 Y (53 lb in) in a star pattern and repeat this torque sequence twice to ensure proper sealing around the accumulator and the filter.
Caution: Fluids for the differential clutch and the rear axle are different. The fluids must never be mixed or interchanged or vehicle damage will result.

Note: When filling the differential clutch fluid use a fill tube , small enough to allow pressure to escape from the differential clutch housing.

 3. Fill the differential clutch with 350 ml (12 ounces) of the proper differential fluid through the vent hose fitting hole. Refer to Adhesives, Fluids, Lubricants, and Sealers.
 4. Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.
 5. To stabilize the oil level, let the vehicle rest for 10  minutes with the ignition off.
 6. Start the engine and allow to run for 5 minutes at idle.
 7. In park, cycle the throttle to wide open briefly 5 times to cycle solenoids to purge air.
 8. Shut the vehicle off.
 9. Raise the vehicle.
Object ID: 2019182Click here for detailed picture of the image.

10. Remove the differential clutch level inspection plug (1).
11. The differential clutch fluid should be level with the bottom of the differential clutch fluid level inspection plug hole.
Note: When filling the differential clutch fluid use a fill tube , small enough to allow pressure to escape from the differential clutch housing.

12. If needed, install the differential clutch level inspection plug and add 50 ml (1.7 ounce) through the vent fitting hole. Repeat step 4 through 11.
Object ID: 2512995Click here for detailed picture of the image.

13. Install the vent hose fitting (2) and tighten to 14 Y (10 lb ft).
14. Install then vent hose (1).
15. Lower the vehicle.
16. Install the scan tool.
Note: When the clutch pump motor cycles from OFF to ON the current will also cycle from 0 mA to 2500–3500 mA. DTC C0407 64 is set when the pump current is CONSTANTLY BELOW  2500 mA.

17. With engine running, observe the scan tool Rear Differential Clutch Pump Motor Current parameter. The parameter display should be between 2500–3500 mA when the pump is on. If the parameter is below 2500 mA, repeat step 12.
18. Once desired parameter is reached check to ensure proper differential clutch fluid level. Remove fluid level inspection plug and allow any excess fluid to drain level with plug opening.

19. Install the fill plug and tighten to 14 Y (10 lb ft).
You are about to leave the website of General Motors and view the content of an external website. That website is not owned or controlled by, or affiliated with General Motors or its subsidiaries, and it is subject to its separate terms and conditions and other agreements, as well as its privacy policies. General Motors cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites.OKCancelWarning© 2017 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Sorry the cut and pastes never format correctly on here. I can always email the procedures as an option.

The below is for the filter:

xTooltipElement

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback TIS2Web Help
Related Documents Global Labor Time Guide: Differential Clutch Oil Filter Replacement

2014 Buick Regal | Regal North America VIN G Service Manual 5475358 | Driveline/Axle | Rear Drive Axle | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 2158608
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Differential Clutch Oil Filter Replacement

Object ID: 2018701Click here for detailed picture of the image.
Differential Clutch Oil Filter Replacement Callout
Component Name

Preliminary Procedure
 1. Remove the propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement.
 2. Lower the differential clutch assembly, just enough to reach the cover. Do not damage the drive shaft universal joints. Refer to Rear Differential Clutch Control Module Replacement.

Differential Clutch Cover Bolts (Qty: 10)

Warning: The hydraulic pressure in the differential clutch is very high. To prevent personal injury, wait for at least 10 minutes before removing any parts from the differential clutch.

Tighten

6 Y (53 lb in)

Differential Clutch Cover

Differential Clutch Gasket

Procedure

Install a new gasket.

Differential Clutch Oil Plug Tighten

Tighten

14 Y (10 lb ft)

Differential Clutch Oil Plug Sealing

Procedure

Use a new sealing.

Differential Clutch Oil Filter

Procedure

Fill new fluid in the differential clutch. Refer to Adhesives, Fluids, Lubricants, and Sealers and Differential Clutch Oil Replacement.

You are about to leave the website of General Motors and view the content of an external website. That website is not owned or controlled by, or affiliated with General Motors or its subsidiaries, and it is subject to its separate terms and conditions and other agreements, as well as its privacy policies. General Motors cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites.OKCancelWarning© 2017 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Labor guide shows 1.8 for the diff filter replacement. I would guess .5-1.0 each for the diff fluid and transfer case.

Very informative. Thanks. Sounds like it's just the "filter" that requires removal of the drive shaft. Can the filter just be left unchanged? Or is that a bad idea ?

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Very informative. Thanks. Sounds like it's just the "filter" that requires removal of the drive shaft. Can the filter just be left unchanged? Or is that a bad idea ?

Sent you all the procedures but that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back