Single Hose Gas Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much fuel is in that single hose?

Example:
If I buy 93, how much of the last guys 87 am I buying at the 93 price?
I'm running a tune and I want 93, not almost 93.

I can't find a station around here that has discrete hoses for each octane rating anymore.

I think I read about this once a long time ago and you can expect to get 1/10 of a gallon of the octane the previous customer pumped. My wife and I will use a pump a higher end car or motorcycle pulls away from if given the chance, not that it matters. We also try to use gas stations in better areas. A gas station in a bad or low income part of town removed from interstate travelers is probably selling higher octane gas that has been in the storage tank for many moons.

I heard some time back that it's generally a 1/3 to ½ gallon in the hose. It will depend on thehose as well. Some new pumps have a smaller diameter hose from the outside so I am assuming it's smaller inside as well.

The only way to guarantee 93 is to follow someone pumping 93.

Last edited:
I've stopped twice now at a new KwikTrip in Fon du lac, WI. E091 on a seperate dedicated pump and hose right next to all the others so someones thought this through.

Is this really something to worry about? The difference will be completely negligible.

Your 93 tune should not be so close to the ragged edge to where this affects you even slightly.

The more you buy at once, the better the odds you get what you want.

I've always heard between .25-.50 gallons in the hoses and valve assembly.

I've been thinking about bringing a gas can in my truck. I can dump the first gallon in my truck, then the next 5 in the gas can.

Calculating the volume of a hose = A good math exercise

The volume of the mixer etc. = intel

Fretting the delta in octane = BITOGers OCD = CHARMING

Waiting for a high end car or motorcycle to leave a pump = Something a stalker would be better at doing

"I can dump the first gallon in my truck, then the next 5 in the gas can." = Additional risk by complicating the handling of a dangerous fluid

I say, "Have a good time". The nasty people around me would say, "Get a life". I don't say that to people.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Is this really something to worry about? The difference will be completely negligible.

Your 93 tune should not be so close to the ragged edge to where this affects you even slightly.

Glad you said it
smile.gif
drama........

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

This is BITOG. Where everything is worth worrying about!
12.gif

If you are only buying a gallon or 2 for my mower or dirtbike and I am paying for the Premium Non-Oxygenated stuff I don't want to get a gallon of ethanol laced fuel. For me it isn't the octane that I am worried about, but I don't want the ethanol in it.

When I was very young, I'd wait till the local gas station was closed and take a gallon can and empty all gas hoses to get gas for my car. I never got a full gallon from the 6 separate pumps. Ed

Originally Posted By: Kira

"I can dump the first gallon in my truck, then the next 5 in the gas can." = Additional risk by complicating the handling of a dangerous fluid

Not really..... I have a ranch, and LOTS of OPE, so it's "par for the course"

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
How much fuel is in that single hose?

Example:
If I buy 93, how much of the last guys 87 am I buying at the 93 price?
I'm running a tune and I want 93, not almost 93.

I can't find a station around here that has discrete hoses for each octane rating anymore.

How much performance would you loose if you went with a 91 friendly tune?

My GTI calls for 91 minimum, I use 93 and don't have to worry about what's in the hoses....

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
How much fuel is in that single hose?...

A google search reveals that thousands of people have asked that same question, and no one has received a definitive answer. Perhaps a decade ago, the NYT (or maybe it was the WSJ) asked the same question and contacted API, who told them there was around 1/3 gal in the hose. But how much fuel is in the pump and hard plumbing ?

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right to me.

On a pump that will let the hose be drained, thieves sometimes drain the descending hose, stealing gas from the next customer, or owner. I've never seen it take more than a few cents to refill the drained hose.

I've seen the insides of my pumps ( and others ) many times. I would say the internal piping is about one fifth, or less, the total length of the hose.

So, maybe six or seven cents worth of gas at today's prices; negligible for most customers, unless the customer is buying less than a quarter's worth of the better gas. Which people will actually do, once in a blue moon, for a weedeater or something.

I can't imagine this being a factor affecting someone's tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back