Oversize For Fram Ultra XG9688 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states , looking for the oversize (same fit) as the XG9688 for Hyundai 4 cylinder engines ? Thanks in advance ...

XG3593A is a slightly larger diameter... both my Subaru and Odyssey call for the 7317 but the 3593 fits just fine and adds more filtering media. I don't know if you have enough physical space vs. the 9688 but it's worth a shot.

I use a PH3985 on my Honda Odyssey -- it's the largest 20x1.5mm thread filter I could find. Bypass setting is very similar. It has about a 1/4" larger gasket diameter, so the mounting base has to accept it, plus you need the room as it's substantially larger than both the PH7317 and PH3593A. The PH3593A is a bit wider than the PH7317, but it's not a huge difference in size. The PH3985 is a monster compared to them. There is ample room on my Odyssey, but on my Nissan Maxima which also accepts PH7317/PH3593A, there's no hope as the filter contacts the oil pan before it will seat all the way.

FWIW, the PH3985 was used on older (80's?) AMC vehicles. Jeeps, old-school Eagles, that stuff.

If you really want to go huge, I believe one the S2000 owners here runs a Baldwin B2, which is even longer than any of those filters. Want to say it's 5 inches long.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
If you really want to go huge, I believe one the S2000 owners here runs a Baldwin B2, which is even longer than any of those filters. Want to say it's 5 inches long.

The B2 filter will not fit the S2000 or the Odyssey, wrong threads. I run a B202 on my S2000, fits the S just fine and now I take 6 qt's even on my oil changes. Don't know if the Odyssey has room for it as it is a much larger filter than stock.

ROD

At least on my '04 Odyssey, you could probably fit a #10 soup can in the oil filter location, there's that much room there. Plus the mounting flange is huge which makes gasket diameter possibilities nearly endless. There's just not a lot of 20mm thread filters out there, unlike a 3/4 thread or something a bit more standard.

The OP has a Hyundai -- he should look and see if a ph3985 or the b202 would fit. Both are excellent choices.

No way in Detroit that the B202 fits on a 3G Odyssey... I have the XG3593A equivalent MicroGreen on mine now and there is only about .3" clearance between the bottom of the filter and the subframe spar.

OTOH, it will most certainly fit on my 01 Forester and may likely be the next filter even though I have a pile of clearance Bosch D+ waiting on it. Thanks for the data, Saturn!

Good luck OP!

This is the one I wanted - it is $1.00 cheaper at WM than the smaller 9688 (go figure) ... I'll buy both and if it doesn't fit my Sonata I'll use on my Elantra which has plenty of room .
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
XG3593A is a slightly larger diameter... both my Subaru and Odyssey call for the 7317 but the 3593 fits just fine and adds more filtering media. I don't know if you have enough physical space vs. the 9688 but it's worth a shot.

I don't know if this still works but here are my pic's of my B7042(same size as the B202) cut open. I run the B202 on my S2000 now and have over 100k miles on it with 30k with the B7042 and 70k with the B202. Irun my oil filter for 15k miles. The pic's of my Baldwin has 15k miles on it and I saw no visible damage.

Photobucket won't let me post the pic's anymore but I think you can still get to my link.
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back