2013 Ford Taurus SHO oil filter suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for suggestions on a quality oil filter for my car. I am not looking for a war, just some suggestions specifically for a hard run SHO Ecoboost twin turbo tuned vehicle. I have decided on Castrol 5w-30 Magnatec with 5000 mile change interval. My manual and the SHO forum highly recommended the MC FL500S, not because of better filtration but because the EcoBoost motor is sensitive to oil filter, non fl500s filters can cause hard or slow cold starts, start up noises and ticks. I believe it has something to do with the "relief valve" and not the filtration. Regardless I want the best this list suggests for my car. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Last edited:
Every Ford manual says that about Motorcraft oil filters.
Not that I personally find anything wrong with Motorcraft oil filters but know that is Bull. Fram Ultra is by everyway more superior.

I have used MC filters for years and find them well suited for Fords. I did vary from that about 15 years ago in a 99 Ford F150 with the 4.3 V6, and after two weeks I started getting start up clatter that lasted for less than a minute. I changed back to a FL 400 and the start up noise was gone. Have stayed with MC filters ever since.

Fram Ultra for the win. Silicone ADBV to avoid startup clatter, full synthetic glass fiber dual layer media, Fram says it can do 20,000 miles potentially (depth filtering holds more junk), and the best 4548-12 test results.
Otherwise, Royal Purple and Amsoil EaO oil filters are almost as good too.

Besides, some Motorcraft oil filters made by Purolator have turned up with tears (rips) in the media, and having anything to do with the infamous evil Purolators isn't good at all. That company has some bizarre quality issues.

Originally Posted By: Avidmotion
My manual and the SHO forum highly recommended the MC FL500S, not because of better filtration but because the EcoBoost motor is sensitive to oil filter, non fl500s filters can cause hard or slow cold starts, start up noises and ticks. I believe it has something to do with the "relief valve" and not the filtration. Regardless I want the best this list suggests for my car. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I've run both MC and non MC on my SHO (and the F150 with the EB) and there is no difference at all with regard to startup. The early engines had a tendency to rattle on startup no matter what oil filter you used. Some speculate it's the HPFP, lifters, or chain. Apparently on the 2010-2012 FWD based EB's they used a single link chain and changed to a "silent" one for 2013. No damage due to this noise has been found - it simply sounds bad.

That being said, I'd go with Fram Ultra given that MC's have shown tears in cut opens posted here. I typically run them for 2x7500 on the SHO and 2x5-7500 on the F150.

An oil filter is causing "hard or slow starts"? Really? Come on now, seriously?
Someone has to got to stop the insanity ....

Most (not all) MC filters have silicone ADBVs. As long as you get a similar product, the performance should be the same in terms of "noises and ticks".

You're only going to use this for 5k miles; there's no need for anything more than the MC filter. Or, maybe a TG, which has higher efficiency and still uses the silicone ADBV.

Most certainly an Ultra will do the job, but it won't do any more of the job than the TG would, except to waste more your money.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
An oil filter is causing "hard or slow starts"? Really? Come on now, seriously?
Someone has to got to stop the insanity ....

Most (not all) MC filters have silicone ADBVs. As long as you get a similar product, the performance should be the same in terms of "noises and ticks".

You're only going to use this for 5k miles; there's no need for anything more than the MC filter. Or, maybe a TG, which has higher efficiency and still uses the silicone ADBV.

Most certainly an Ultra will do the job, but it won't do any more of the job than the TG would, except to waste more your money.

Or, if you're engine is clean & sludge free, you could use an Ultra for multiple OCIs, as I've done (for TWO 10K OCIs with M1 EP in my xB), and it would be cheaper than using the inferior Tough Guard for one. I'm also using the XG2 in place of the MC FL820S on my 4.6, startup chain rattle has disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back