Aviation Mechanics Never Requested on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious as to why. I see every other job advertised, but never A&P mechanics. Either they got a constant flow of resumes being sent in, or there's no turnover whatsoever.

An A&P is about as much a professionalal as a CPA.
You won't find too many openings for CPAs listed on CL either.
Wrong venue for either.
I'd suggest Linkedin, but I think that's a little passe now.

Every aviation job I have ever had in my life, I never applied for... in 28 years.

The aviation community is small - - we all talk to each other.
Everyone knows who the good and bad A&P's are.

A&P Mechanics only get hired off of websites, job fairs, or word of mouth.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Craigslist is probably the last place an A&P would look for work.

What the starting salary for entry level A&P ?

Military contracting or GA?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

GA and commercial airline (Delta, American, United... etc..) ?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

GA and commercial airline (Delta, American, United... etc..) ?

I've had offers as low as $12.50/hr to as high as $21.50 for GA. Nothing so far that was really attractive to me.

BTW, what's the starting salary for entry level A&P ?

It was $7.00 back in 1995.

My brother in law couldn't find a job in that field after being trained in the Marines for 4 years, but that was during the recession. He decided to fly instead of fix so he signed with the Army for 16 more years. He'll be retired before 40 but the military life is hard.

Originally Posted By: Saul
There is a company struggling to fill mechanic slots at $30 an hour out here. No A&P required.

I thought you needed an FAA license to work on and repair aircraft whether it was general aviation or commercial ?

My dad was an A&P for 30 years at Pan Am.

Actually I hiring A&P's and A&P/IA's on CraigsList. Just send to me of your name, dob, ssn, addressings and more. I shall advance at you the check for your first month you just transaction it and moneygram me back $2400 okay? No walmart nearby, no problem !! Go pickup five $500 Green Dot cards and call me with the scratch off #'s of the back of each, okay? You know you want to work for my Aviations Company, okay? It is the pleasure to make business with you !!!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

There is a company struggling to fill mechanic slots at $30 an hour out here. No A&P required.

I thought you needed an FAA license to work on and repair aircraft whether it was general aviation or commercial ?

My dad was an A&P for 30 years at Pan Am.

Defense contracting on military jets is a bit different.

No, you don't need an A&P to work on the aircraft. You do need one to sign the return-to-service or airworthiness release. So as long as an A&P will sign off your work you can be "anyone" doing the work. It is common for sheetmetal technicians to be non-certificated, plus wheel and brake technicians.

A certificated air carrier can petition the FAA for a repairman's certificate as well, this allows non A&P persons to sign off on their work (but only for the tasks listed on their certificate).

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Actually I hiring A&P's and A&P/IA's on CraigsList. Just send to me of your name, dob, ssn, addressings and more. I shall advance at you the check for your first month you just transaction it and moneygram me back $2400 okay? No walmart nearby, no problem !! Go pickup five $500 Green Dot cards and call me with the scratch off #'s of the back of each, okay? You know you want to work for my Aviations Company, okay? It is the pleasure to make business with you !!!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanking you very much in advance. My cousin in Lagos wishes to make business with you to. He would like for you to send him a large wad of cash also.

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanking you very much in advance. My cousin in Lagos wishes to make business with you to. He would like for you to send him a large wad of cash also.

wink.gif

Knowing how to spell can be a huge advantage for spotting a con. I've been saved more than once because I spotted a spelling error in a message apparently from someone knows how to spell.

A spelling error in a message from the head of the Department of Internal Medicine inviting me to open a mystery link! Really!

My HELP desk didn't think it was a con so I suggested they open it on their own machine. And guess what happened.

It just depends. Nobody in Canada uses Craigslist (it's there, just ignored) but Kijiji rules.
Still, I'm retired now. For my entire employment career, save for my fourth job (age 17), I didn't fill out an application, submit a resume, or use an employment listing or service of any kind.

I never lacked for work, changed careers a few times, and always was hired based on word-of-moutb alone, (also known as cronyism). I literally don't even know how to look for a job, never have done it, worked all my life.

My first job was during the summer at age 14, then when I turned 16 (legal age to work in Canada) I worked both during the school year and at a different job during the summer. I'd still be working if health didn't force my early retirement. I'm working on a startup right now, so perhaps there is self-employment in my future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back