Aftermarket turbo BRZ oil recommedations

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post!

Came here researching for that "perfect oil"...

So I have a newly turbocharged BRZ (1k miles) currently running M1 5w30. I have the triple whammy of an oil only cooled turbo, short trips and hot FL weather. Right now I'm seeing 230F oil temps (200 coolant) which is ok but I'm sure the turbo is beating that oil to death with heat (its gives off whisps of smoke off the CHRA on shut down). As some may know the OEM fill is 0w20 which is far too thin for my app. It seems like Redline 5w30 might be good choice because of high HTHS and low Noack.

Any other recommendations for oil?

At least 0W-40 qnd get a pyrometer to let you see the turbo temps and let the turbo cool to around 300*f before shut down. I bet the torque increase makes the BRZ super.

I think this would be a good time for that Redline 10w-60
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
At least 0W-40 qnd get a pyrometer to let you see the turbo temps and let the turbo cool to around 300*f before shut down. I bet the torque increase makes the BRZ super.

You think a 0w40 huh?.. that's way thicker than OEM spec. The '15+ WRX which uses the same engine (except lower comp pistons) specs 5w30 which is why I went with that. But yes the extra torque is nice it really is a top end rocket! The car has 255 dur. cams stock more of a revvy top end motor. Its sitting around 285whp and 230wtq on a low boost conservative tune to save the clutch.

The whole pyrometer seems really inconvenient would like to avoid that. I do let it idle after pulls but just driving to work and putting around town I don't.

No oil cooler set up as I have no good place to mount. Looking into that but the temps are 230*F off the ECU not that crazy.

10w-60 sounds insane lol. I'm just street driving it...

Last edited:
No doubt. I think I need to get myself an oil pressure gauge as that is what really matters.

I have an air to air oil cooler I used to run NA on track but the intercooler takes all that space up now. The do have water to oil coolers might be easier to plumb.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
In all honesty, I would give the Redline 5W-30 a shot. If you are still not comfortable, that Motul Sport 5w-40 might be the ticket.

No doubt. I think I need to get myself an oil pressure gauge as that is what really matters.

I have an air to air oil cooler I used to run NA on track but the intercooler takes all that space up now. The do have water to oil coolers might be easier to plumb.

Originally Posted By: passgas55
I would use a 10/30 A3/B3 spec oil like M1 HM 10/30.

That is a high HTHS oil? I assume why you recommend?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Both M1 HM 5W-30 and 10W-30 have nice specs. I think you ought to go with an ester base for this application, though.

Looking the specs the Redline 5w30 does seem a bit more robust than the M1 HM 10w30. More expensive though but not that bad.

i recommend a medium grade viscosity with an awesome hths and film strength. Redline 5-30 is my recommendation to run. the 30 weight should be good for the clearances in the brz aka not too thick like that "redline 10w60" recommendation. and being that the oil is redline it will last long as [censored] and the shearing and deteriorating associated with lesser oils wont happen. RUN REDLINE YOU WONT HAVE OIL QUALITY ISSUES .

Originally Posted By: stevo585
Originally Posted By: CT8

You think a 0w40 huh?.. that's way thicker than OEM spec. The '15+ WRX which uses the same engine (except lower comp pistons) specs 5w30 which is why I went with that. But yes the extra torque is nice it really is a top end rocket! The car has 255 dur. cams stock more of a revvy top end motor. Its sitting around 285whp and 230wtq on a low boost conservative tune to save the clutch.

The whole pyrometer seems really inconvenient would like to avoid that. I do let it idle after pulls but just driving to work and putting around town I don't.

The WRX comes with a direct-injected turbo FA20F engine. Your direct AND port-injected N/A FA20D engine now has a turbo, so I'd say the change you implemented constitutes a less-than-conservative result. 285/230 at the wheels is a substantial gain over stock - HUGE!

Who tuned you and what boost levels you're running?

//

To answer your question, I'd stick with a very robust 5W-30. With the port injection you shouldn't have to worry too much about deposits, right? Your main concern will be the turbo and trying not to spin a bearing. I'd pay as much money as I could to keep this thing running for as long as you can. Were there options for a coolant-cooled turbo for your BRZ?

Good luck! Sounds awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back