part # for cheap, huge fuel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the gas tank on my camry. (miserable) To get the last of the gas out I turned the tank on its side to pour out and a bunch of rust and dirt fell into my drainings.
frown.gif

I'm going to set up a funnel, hose, and filter to clean this up but was wondering if there's something bigger than the Fram G2 for around the same money. Not necessarily universal, but with barbs on the ends for my get-up.

Ciao!

410-g2.jpg

Put in a T and run 2 of the G-2s. I have picked up cartridge filters at car swap meets for very cheap. I usually pickup a handful of smaller ones for the small engines in the spring. Like 5 for $5 or less

Geeze for a Maine-iac, you're kinda OCD. Carefully pour the dirty gas into the tank. Note the crud on the bottom. if the gas is cloudy with rust stop. Use your Yankee ingenuity and slowly pour the rest through a rag into a clear vessel. The new fuel filter you put in with the new tank should be able to handle a little rust. Toss the remaining gas (1/4 cup) with the chunks onto some dirt and throw a match on it. Enjoy the whooosh
grin2.gif

Not sure if the plastic Fram G2 is good enough for high pressure fuel injection. I could be wrong

If you can, get a baldwin BF840-K1 or BF840 (without the clamps and hose)
It's metal and little bigger:

BF840-K1.jpg

Or like a BF7768 / Fram G8018
It's designed for fuel injection in late model Fords and has ends which you could clamp hoses to:
BF7768.jpg

You could also get a filter base and run a spin on filter adaptor but that would probably be overkill

Last edited:
Not injecting this, pouring from one container into another through a funnel and said filter. Thanks for the ideas.

Not $3 cheap, but the fuel filter on my 96 BMW 318ti was huge. Almost like two soda cans stacked on top of each other. A bit skinnier though. Simple barbs on each end. RockAuto and eBay have various brands for about $15.

Last edited:

So I punted. Got a filter for a 1989 buick century 3300 for $1.16 from Rockauto when I was buying some cabin filters and wiper blades from the same warehouse. Even came with a free foot of hose attached!

I double-filtered the fuel, pouring into an old windshield washer fluid container b/c it was clear and I could examine it, then poured through the same filter-- now more efficient thanks to partial plugging-- into my truck. The sediment at the bottom, along with a couple tablespoons of gas, are drying out in a drain pan in the sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back