2011 Tundra Oil Change Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Tundra with the 5.7 and 4x4. Truck sees mostly long trips with moderate towing. Current oil is Mobil 1 EP 0W-20. I put about 6-7k miles a year on it. Owners manual calls for 6 month or 5k mile oil changes (whichever comes first) and I followed that schedule while the warranty was in effect. Now that the powertrain warranty is expired should I just switch that oil change interval to once a year?

Whatever anyone says, you should verify one time with a uoa. I have seen way too many times some guys get 15k from an oil and the other guy is out of tbn with the same vehicle and 1/2 of the mileage.

Cheap insurance is to drop a calcium supplement like bg moa at the 8 or 9 month mark, ensure your tbn is combating acid.

Originally Posted By: burla
Cheap insurance is to drop a calcium supplement like bg moa at the 8 or 9 month mark, ensure your tbn is combating acid.

That's funny; top of the line extended drain oil with probably a 7qt sump; I year is fine IMHO without supplements; I run 1 year OCI in my B2300; 8-12K miles; 4 qt sump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

That's funny; top of the line extended drain oil with probably a 7qt sump; I year is fine IMHO without supplements; I run 1 year OCI in my B2300; 8-12K miles; 4 qt sump.

Actually the engine has an 8 quart sump.

Whatever anyone says, you should verify one time with a uoa. I have seen way too many times some guys get 15k from an oil and the other guy is out of tbn with the same vehicle and 1/2 of the mileage.

Exactly... your oil and your engine might be different than someone else's....without a UOA you are spitting in the dark. You'll likely be ok for a year, but it's better to pay for one or two UOAs to be certain.

I think instead of wasting money on UOA's I would shorten the OCI instead if you are concerned and as stated by CT8 a 0w30 would be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
UOA for 6 or 7K a year? Be serious; OM says 5K and he is running 6 or 7K with EP oil.

+1

Once a year and id bet your engine is clean as any other and will run forever. It wouldnt hurt to get a UOA after running it for 1 full year, if you are interested in seeing a UOA.

Once a year or every 5k. I'm not sure there is a big difference between 5k and 7k, ultimately. As long as your short trips get the oil warm enough to boil off any water, I'm not sure there is anything to sweat over.

Toyota gave the 5.7 a wonky OCI schedule, but my 4.6, which is a destroked 5.7, has a factory rated 10k OCI. Use neither of them at full tilt and I'm not sure the motor cares. The only issue being, dumping in 8 qt of quality synthetic at an interval your wallet thinks is too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back