What is the "worst" oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the world of oil, assuming proper grade and specification, what is the WORST oil that you have seen?

Everyone is looking for the best oil, but lets look at the other end of the spectrum. Like std Fram oil filters are arguably the worst oil filter design, there has to be an oil out there that everyone considers the one to avoid.

Any thoughts?

We gotta focus on the facts, and saying Fram filters are anywhere near the worst design is completely false. Stop spreading lies.

Oil is oil, unless it's the stuff from the dollar store or no-name gas station oil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Anything on PQIA's "don't buy" and "consumer alert" list.

I was just going to mention that. :p

Originally Posted By: EyesofThunder
So in the world of oil, assuming proper grade and specification, what is the WORST oil that you have seen?

Everyone is looking for the best oil, but lets look at the other end of the spectrum. Like std Fram oil filters are arguably the worst oil filter design, there has to be an oil out there that everyone considers the one to avoid.

Any thoughts?

You misspelled "Purolator"! I agree that any c-store oil that doesn't carry a current API approval should be on the "worst" list.

The orange can hate needs to stop.

What a lot of people do not know about the orange can, is that for some old applications, it is literally the only oil filter left that fits some engines.

I have seen tons of old engines years and years past their service life that are still kicking on the orange can.

In opening orange cans, I have seen some really ugly filters, but have never seen a problem, other than ADBV having hardened.

It's a cheap product that is made cheap. Made poorly? No.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

What a lot of people do not know about the orange can, is that for some old applications, it is literally the only oil filter left that fits some engines.

I have seen tons of old engines years and years past their service life that are still kicking on the orange can.

In opening orange cans, I have seen some really ugly filters, but have never seen a problem, other than ADBV having hardened.

+1

There are worst filters, and there are bad batches of anything made. No point in kicking one of the market leaders ...

There are some bad oils out there on store shelves, but PQIA has played a pivotal role in helping to get them out of circulation.
Any name brand or chain store house brand will do just fine.
While I may prefer some to others, any one of these will work without issue.
Bad oils are the exception while good and serviceable oils are the rule.
Also, the worst oil for an IC engine might be an ND 30 while that might be the best choice for an air compressor.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Anything on PQIA's "don't buy" and "consumer alert" list.

+1

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

+1

There are worst filters, and there are bad batches of anything made. No point in kicking one of the market leaders ...

Orange can Fram and QS green bottle 10w 30 served me well for my years and many miles. Neither are the best, but are far from the worst.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The worst oil I have ever used is QSUD, but that's based purely on opinion, not facts or science.

Same as your opinion on thick oil, not based on facts or science!! LOL..sorry i had to!

Originally Posted By: burla
I just bought 6 fram ultras for the wife's car, great filter.

I don't like the non moly oils, RP, Valvoline, Super Tech and all of the others as well. Personal preference. moly cam wear pdf page 11

References:
01.gif
Interesting reading.

Worst oil I bought was an obsolete API rated oil SB/C? from a chain store. I didn't know anything about oil at the time, but the result was I changed it out the same week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back