New Continental Wintercontact si

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some of these tires from Tirerack last week and had them installed on my steel wheels yesterday. Tirerack has a $80 rebate on their winter tires going on right now. These are pretty much equal for the Blizzak WS80.

co_wintercontactsi_pdpcrop.jpg

How do you know if you haven't driven on them? What is your experience with Blizzaks?

They're new to you but have been on the market for a year now.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I bought some of these tires from Tirerack last week and had them installed on my steel wheels yesterday. Tirerack has a $80 rebate on their winter tires going on right now. These are pretty much equal for the Blizzak WS80.

Were did you get them mounted and what did they charge you? I've found a lot of tire shops take away a good portion of your savings.

What are the rating on that tire for wear temp etc?

Nice tread design and winter will be here in Taxington before we know it. Did you get them studded?

Last edited:
They should've sold the SI as a General, so that Conti could sell the European-market ContiWinterContact TS8xx under their own name over here.

These don't have a UTQG rating and have a starting tread depth of 10/32. I bought them because they're H rated like my OEM tires also. I paid $83.00 to mount them at a local Discount Tire. The $80 rebate will pay for the mounting when I get it back. Tirerack's review rated them equal to the WS80 Blizzak.

These don't have a UTQG rating and have a starting tread depth of 10/32. I bought them because they're H rated like my OEM tires also. I paid $83.00 to mount them at a local Discount Tire. The $80 rebate will pay for the mounting when I get it back. Tirerack's review rated them equal to the WS80 Blizzak.

No winter tires have a UTQG rating because it isn't required on winter tires
smile.gif

I feel that many of the top-rated name-brands will perform equally well for me. I choose based on price, unless ratings show some glaring issues or distinctive disadvantages for what I need it for.

I'm torn between these and the Blizzaks for my new-to-me Legacy. The Blizzak WS70s were good on my old Subaru STI and the WS80s have been great on our Forester so far.

With that said, adding a set of Conti Extreme Winter Contacts to our soon-to-be sold Civic was a game changer. Any car can be safe and manageable in the winter conditions I experience in CT and MA, so long as I drive appropriately, have enough tread left (> ~5-6/32"), and that tread isn't a summer pattern and compound. What winter tires afforded me was the ability to outbrake just about everyone else on the road and maneuver out of he way of someone who can't stop as well as I can; this has admittedly only been an issue a handful of times for me.

I wonder how they'll compare to Continental's other offering, the General Altimax Arctic. I love my Arctic's, first Winter tire that was good in the rain, only quibble is the tread squirm. I'll put up with that for all the other benefits.

The General Altimax Arctic are hand-me-downs from Gislaved, the Nordfrost 3. The next generation Arctic 12 are also hand-me-down, Gislaved 100.

Conti are OK as far as tyres go, but are too much of an 'all rounder' for my tastes. I like to have a dry grip summer tyre and a rain/snow tyre for winter.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
And you put those tires on the car at the end of August? WHY, WHY?

Finklejag only stated he had them installed on steel wheels. He never implied they are installed on the car yet.

Just received the invoice in the mail from Tirerack. I guess I qualify for a $70 rebate from Continental also. So that's $150 coming back my way for these winter tires.
banana2.gif

These tires are installed on my extra set of steel wheels and are in my garage waiting for winter.

Just received the invoice in the mail from Tirerack. I guess I qualify for a $70 rebate from Continental also. So that's $150 coming back my way for these winter tires.
banana2.gif

These tires are installed on my extra set of steel wheels and are in my garage waiting for winter.

A bit misleading because TR says you need to choose one of the rebates, not both. They lost my business the past couple buys since DTD has $75/$70/$60 rebates and 6 months to pay for it, and don't charge shipping. I could drive 6 hours and pick up tires but why?

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Those look good. Tread is a bit more open than the Blizzak, should be better in actual snow.

Depends, Si starts at 10/32, Blizzak WS80 at 11.5/32 while DM-V2 starts at 13/32.
That all does not mean anything because compound still matters most.

Originally Posted By: LotI
banana2.gif

A bit misleading because TR says you need to choose one of the rebates, not both. They lost my business the past couple buys since DTD has $75/$70/$60 rebates and 6 months to pay for it, and don't charge shipping. I could drive 6 hours and pick up tires but why?

Tirerack's rebate is for $70 Visa or $80 Mastercard. You can only choose one of those but the other $70 rebate is from Continental Tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back