Help me pick. 0w40 castrol edge euro or rl 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oil does not get hot so I want a oil for start-up but my valve train is noisy and that is what REALLY want is something to quiet this ls7 down... redline is 12/qt. at summit and I live 2 munites from there. and my wally has 6 jugs of castrol 0w40 euro with ti in there dicount isle for 25/5qts.Car is a 2008 Corvette Z06 with 17k on it. and the heads have been adressed Thank-You VERY much for any replies.

Last edited:
What is spec oil per mfr for this vette? 5w30?

What have you used before? Id go with the Castrol, simply because of price. I dont think RL would provide better protection. Try to get your oil hot once in awhile.

In this instance the grade is irrelevant, the HTHS of the Redline is higher by a bit. I'd go with which ever one you perceive to be quieter since that is your main concern.

Both are excellent choices, Redline just quiets engines down good as anything. Try it once, and you will see.

Happens every time when I recommend Synpower 5W-40. People ignore it based off either fear or unbelief; I'm not sure which.

I went with the redline. Oil pressure is up a few and the engine is quieter but still has the sewing machine thing going on. Im gonna check pr length this weekend. I got some of it on my hands and that stuff is slick!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Happens every time when I recommend Synpower 5W-40. People ignore it based off either fear or unbelief; I'm not sure which.

Really good oil and made in America!

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Really good oil and made in America!

Yeah it's very easy to find and a reasonable price!

/s

well i went with redline 530 and the ticking got worse after about 500 miles!! i pulled a few of my rocker arms apart and noticed excessive wear in the trunnion. I installed bronze bushings on the rocker aerms and its MUCH quieter. I am going to change my oil because i think this redline caused some of this wear ????? Im thinking penzoil ultra 10w30. Any ideas?? thanks

Originally Posted By: 08z06
well i went with redline 530 and the ticking got worse after about 500 miles!! i pulled a few of my rocker arms apart and noticed excessive wear in the trunnion. I installed bronze bushings on the rocker aerms and its MUCH quieter. I am going to change my oil because i think this redline caused some of this wear ????? Im thinking penzoil ultra 10w30. Any ideas?? thanks

It was already ticking before the Redline.

I'm sure Redline was the cause of the wear
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

It was already ticking before the Redline.

I'm sure Redline was the cause of the wear
crazy.gif

..... me thinking you have a typo-problemo....
I'm sure Redline was NOT the cause of the wear

it got worse QUICKLY

In which case it's even more unlikely it's the oil causing it.

it got worse QUICKLY

In that case I suggest you contact Redline and see if they will warranty the repairs that were required. Although I couldn't find an express warranty on their website, I'd still contact them either way. I guarantee they will want to know that their oil caused this issue.

Redline did not cause your issue. Rocker reunion wear has probably been building for a long time in your engine. It’s not uncommon in pushrod LS engines. That engine needs to be driven hard regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back