VIRGIN FRAM TG8A CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I nabbed one of the 2 of this # filter at Wal Mart this morning for 50cents
smile.gif

Enjoy the pictures folks

Looks a bit crusty. The outside quality on these were brilliant and better than the Ultras I had. But inside i wasn't impressed. Not a bad filter but no bargain either.
Ultras are king. Thanks for the pictures!!

Yep, I fail to see what's so tough about it. Looks like a bargain basement filter-- that alone isn't a bad thing (it certainly doesn't look so bad that I'd worry about it failing), but for the normal price of these, you just don't get your money's worth.

I've used them a handful of times and never had any problems.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Yep, I fail to see what's so tough about it. Looks like a bargain basement filter-- that alone isn't a bad thing (it certainly doesn't look so bad that I'd worry about it failing), but for the normal price of these, you just don't get your money's worth.

I've used them a handful of times and never had any problems.

For 50cents and the age of the filter I ain't complaining

Thank you for the time and effort to show the filters. I think the filter hits all the marks well except one. The excess glue or whatever stained the filter shows where the baseplate seals to the ADBV. Two or three of the inlet holes, shown in the bottom of the fifth picture down, have hole edges which are at or near the sealing surface edges. Too close IMO, and it's been seen before. I think it could leak. The only real defect seems to me, except the strange deposits on this particular sample.
It looks like the nub centering method has the ADBV off to one side a bit on this one. More sealing space on one side than the other, by a lot.

^^^ The 3rd and 5th photos show the ADBV seals outside the hole circumference. Even if it's not perfectly centered, looks like still enough area to seal. It looks pretty centered in photo #3.

Yeah Zee0Six is correct. 3rd pic: what you see is exactly what I saw when I pulled baseplate from filter can. Looks good to me
smile.gif

Looks waaaaaaay better than the last PH8A I cut open. The last few Frams I've seen on here finally seem to have addressed the lack of media issue.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ The 3rd and 5th photos show the ADBV seals outside the hole circumference. Even if it's not perfectly centered, looks like still enough area to seal. It looks pretty centered in photo #3.

I was looking at the inside seal, #5, where the ADBV seals the center tube. It's pretty extreme on this one I would say, the off center. The holes on one side almost go past the seal. That would leak oil from the inlet to the outlet. Probably still enough rubber to seal, but who knows, it isn't centered well is what I am saying. That is something the nub center system, especially with fiber nubs is a little different on than an ADBV that centers perfectly around a collar.

Originally Posted By: car51
I nabbed one of the 2 of this # filter at Wal Mart this morning for 50cents
smile.gif

They never went below $4.50 in Waco, Texas.

A few oddball ones (little tiny ones, for import use) went down to $3.00 - but that was it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back