Roadtrip? What to inspect prior to departure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to go to the province next over to do some errands, it will be a round trip of 2800km. I rarely do road trips, the most I've done for a trip would be 400km/250mi. What are some things to inspect and bring along prior to leaving? I'll be taking a 2010 Dodge 3500 6.7L. On my list so far I have:

Check oil
Trans fluid level
F/R differential and transfer case fluid level
Coolant level
W/W fluid top up
Tire pressure

Check condition & pressure of spare tire.
Break loose and re-tighten to spec all lug nuts.
Bring a 4-way lug wrench and a decent bottle jack.

Brake pad material remaining?
Spare fuel filter(s) and tools needed to change.

Hoses, belts, spare tire. Get the battery and alternator tested at an auto parts store you trust. Carry some cash with you. $100 can get you out of a lot of minor jams.

tires and cooling systems account for the lions share of highway breakdowns.
and belts.
as mentioned be sure you can change a tire with the tools on board.and that the spare is good.
a basic tool set,air compressor,and a jump box are a good idea.
a good flashlight or even better a headlamp is a must have.

flaslight or lantern, serpertine belt, spare coolant and oil fluid (1 qt enough), enough cash just in case, some snacks, music banks (spotify, cds), prepare navigation and route

gloves and hand wipes. ELM327 OBDII dongle (to your phone) if you pop a CEL and wonder what it is.

1. Check tire pressure. Spare included.
2. Check fluid levels.
3. Inspect wipers.
4. Inspect belts and hoses.
5. Always fill up with quality gas before the trip. You never know where you'll have to stop to fill up and what the quality of the fuel will be.
6. Enjoy the road trip.

As long as you've kept up with maintenance, a quick check of fluids and tires should suffice.

Cell phone and credit card. Just you enjoy trip and if something happens it does. There is nothing you can carry to help in single situation except a phone.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Fuel I'm iffy on since I hate filling outside of the farm because I worry about fuel quality. Since it is legal in BC to fill up with marked fuel while doing farm related tasks. I have a pretty good fuel filtration system on the bulk tank. Since the truck is tuned it does have capability of reading the codes off the Edge display.

Pads and Rotors were done 6 months ago
Fuel filter recently replaced
Belt was replaced 1,500km ago with a Gates HD fleetrunner.
Tires were rotated 5,000km ago. Tread remaining between 16-17/32.
Coolant D/R was done last year.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If it we're an older Jaguar I would say have mechanic follow you in his truck.

*****, holt [censored].
Lol
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Anyways OP, personally say check anything with

1. rubber (Hoses tires, belts, etc)
2. fluids (Oil, collant, etc)
3. electricity (battery, bulbs, fuses)

Just my simple procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.