Running 0w40 or 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering who here is running either 0w40 or 5w40 when there car or truck recommends either a 20 weight or 30 weight oil?

I have used M1 0w40 in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 and noticed no difference in fuel millage and my idle seemed to improve for the full OCI.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Why would viscosity effect idle?

I am as confused about that as you are?? I just can't explain it.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Why would viscosity effect idle?

I am as confused about that as you are?? I just can't explain it.

What do you mean with "Improved Idle"?

Is this a difference in idle RPM at the tach? Or do you mean it just "feels" smoother, quieter, etc..?

I have found that a different motor oil can result in different engine "feel" just like a fresh oil change using the same brand oil.

Since day one my 4.0 in my Nissan has always had a significant amount of vibration that you can feel threw the drivers seat and through the steering wheel. The vibration seems to go away with adding more rpm at idle and it is not felt when driving. When I run a 0w40 the idle seems to increase just enough so the vibration can't be felt and I also get less engine noise so it seems.

I'm currently using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-40 in a '04 Odyssey with J35A4 engine that specs 5w-20. I did it this summer in an effort to combat oil consumption (with 5w-20, it'd use about 2.5 quarts in a 6-7k OCI); it's too early to tell yet if it's helped in that regard.

Since purchasing it at 130k miles (has about 175k now), I'd only used 0w/5w-20 and once or twice used Mobil1 0w-30 AFE. I really can't tell the difference between any of them, the engine runs the same and had always used about the same amount of oil regardless of what was used. The 5w-40 this time is a curiousity thing, to see if it might help. I feel like it may not rev as fast, perhaps not as responsive using the thicker oil, but the difference is minimal. This engine has VTEC and the thicker oil has made no difference with the VTEC solenoid that activates the second cam profile.

Ive run 0w40 on my car that specs 5w30. No issues or change in consumption. Ive also run 0w20 and 5w20 with no noticeable difference. Once back in day someone put 5w50 in and I did notice a significant decrease in gas mileage.

I've used M1 0w40 (old formulation) in my Infiniti that calls 5w30. No scientific data but the engine sounded very smooth.

I've often wondered are the variable valve timing, VVTi, VTEC, etc THAT sensitive to oil viscosity?

Some say that xW20 oils are only spec'd in the US/North America and not overseas, IF that is true (I can't figure out how to find out), do the OEM's change the variable valve timing orifices?

0W-40 is typically a thinner base oil with more viscosity index improvers to achieve KV100, hence why they usually have higher NOACK figures versus the same oil in 5W-40. Typically a better quality base-stock, though, to achieve 0W pour point and cold crank.

Civic at 25k now.. 12k on 0/40, better upgrade early to avoid excessive wear...upgraded that the fuel and UHP tires, real nice.

Last edited:
I am using Pennzoil 0w40 in 2009 Scion xB that specs 0w20. Engine is nice and smooth, definitely smoother than 0w20. Fuel economy is the same on both viscosities.

Mobil 1-FM 5w40 in ecoboost & Delvac 15w40 in 5.3L ... both tested quieter than 5w30 ... don't notice any other difference

I am! My Buick specifies 10W-30, but Nick sent me a case of Valvoline 5W-40.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: EyesofThunder
Some say that xW20 oils are only spec'd in the US/North America and not overseas, IF that is true (I can't figure out how to find out), do the OEM's change the variable valve timing orifices?

Or what they do for a vehicle that's running in Arizona versus one that's running here in winter.
wink.gif
We see a lot of alarmist talk. There's nothing wrong with following the OEM recommendations. But, even using the exact same oil, the same family of engines wind up facing all kinds of viscosity regimes depending on location and driving habits.

What if I drive ten blocks on a 0w-20 during a -40 morning versus you taking a 500 mile road trip in 100 F weather?

My Genesis Coupe 2L turbo gets 0w40 M1. It came from the factory with 5w20 and I ran 0w30 or 5w30 for a couple years but been on the 0w40 for 4 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back