GF bent on 10,000 mile OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend just got this new Jetta in early July that is in my signature. She presently has 1800 miles on it & I wanna change out the factory fill now & get the debris out of the motor/filter. She states, "this car is designed to run 10,000 mile oil change intervals!!" Which, looking in the owners manual & warranty manual -- it does say -- 10,000 mile intervals. I finally talked her into changing out the factory fill at 5000 miles with, " I will buy the oil & filter." Why are some people just so hard headed to a point at times? Also, Castrol Edge is what is recommended from Volkswagon -- they put a Castrol Edge flier in with the manual when we opened it up & read it for the first time. I do plan on running the Castrol Edge 0W40 & Fram Ultra when the oil change is due. Hopeing the Castrol Edge can hold up to the task of 10,000 mile intervals because -- this sassy woman of mine is not gonna back down from her regiment after the initial oil change of the factory fill.

Quote:
Hopeing the Castrol Edge can hold up to the task of 10,000 mile intervals because -- this sassy woman of mine is not gonna back down from her regiment after the initial oil change of the factory fill.

What makes you think the Castrol Edge can't do 10,000 miles?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
It is her car.
She is an adult.
Let her make her choices and live with the consequences, good or bad.

THIS^^^^

And then dump her and find a new girlfriend.

There are three big killers to a healthy relationship...differences in opinion on kids, finances and OCIs.

My wife is the same way. She questions me doing maintenance at the recommended intervals, let alone early. She used to wait until her valves started ticking as the oil change indicator on her old Saturn. No joke.

If you figure out how to make a woman do something she doesn't want to, you call me. We'll team up, write a how-to book, and make millions.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Why are some people just so hard headed to a point at times?

Her or you?
whistle.gif

She's only following what the mfcr recommends for her vehicle.

With women they can burn that money on themselves.
Most could care less about maintenance... Especially when they have to pay for it.

There are a good number of modern engines suffering premature timing chain wear due to extended oil change intervals.

The oil change is the only way micro particulates and contamination are flushed out.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
There are a good number of modern engines suffering premature timing chain wear due to extended oil change intervals.
The oil change is the only way micro particulates and contamination are flushed out.

I fully agree and it looks like the OP fully agrees.
However, if you tell that to a woman, you'll get the deer-in-the-headlights look. (Well, not my wife, but he's a gem)
This girlfriend obviously has some pretty good qualities/skills that make the OP want to keep her, at least for now.
I'd say let her maintain her own car and let her live with the consequences.

Draining the FF early may be wise.
As long as this Castrol meets the required VAG cert, which I believe it does, 10K shouldn't be any problem, as long as that 10K isn't accumulated in a few thousand short trips.
10K isn't really all that long of a drain interval.
In the EU, it would be more like 2X 10K.
These are nice cars that are currently priced at cheap car levels.
I hope that she enjoys the car and sees good service out of it.

Just be honest with her and tell her changing oil is one of your life passions. Giving a technical explanation on why she should or shouldn't change the FF early is a waste of time.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Why are some people just so hard headed to a point at times?

Her or you?
whistle.gif

+1

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Change it when she is not looking.

Best advice thus far, all other advices are nonsense (dumping a GF and start all over again, which moron would do that...)

Same goes with my wife, complaints on why I do PM, I care less, I do it anyway.
That specific day of complaints and arguments remains bitter but then all forgotten the very next day.

Surprise her with the fact that this car was not designed for this oci, but nearly twice that. You can fix a car, can't throw parts at a relationship.
Save what matters.

My girlfriend just got this new Jetta in early July that is in my signature. She presently has 1800 miles on it & I wanna change out the factory fill now & get the debris out of the motor/filter. She states, "this car is designed to run 10,000 mile oil change intervals!!" Which, looking in the owners manual & warranty manual -- it does say -- 10,000 mile intervals.

Does VW use Oil Life Monitor (OLM) algorithms, which sets off a dashboard "change oil now" light? Almost every other vehicle does that.
Getting break-in debris is a good idea. Not absolutely necessary, yet sub-15micron junk can get past the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Does VW use Oil Life Monitor (OLM) algorithms, which sets off a dashboard "change oil now" light?

No.

For the factory fill, I would dump it early, though there is no evidence either way about doing so--neither a benefit or a detriment. For the future OCs, you have to perform a UOA on the oil to know if it can be ran for 10K. With that said, unless there are massive short trips, I would be surprised if any premium synthetic (such as Edge) could not go 10K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back