New F1 oil consumption rules to stop cheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
F1 teams have been using 2 oil tanks with different oils. A smaller oil tank with additives for improved combustion and increased power that are illegal in the fuel has been used for years and now the FAI has stopped the practice and is introducing new oil consumption limits.

I wonder what the additives were?????? Probably not TCW-3 I suspect....
grin.gif

I think they should simply resolve the whole issue by going to 2-Stroke engines. Try to imagine 20 cars on the grid, all going "Wing....Ding....Ding".... Until the lights go out!
grin.gif

Stupid, it was fine as it was, instead of banning, they should allow all teams to use two oil tanks.

Racing is about man AND machine. It sucks when all the machines are the same, look at Nascar. The teams should be given some leway, and if they find something better, why not use it? Unfair advantage? well why spend millions on R&D?

The teams should be allowed to innovate on anything that does not impair safety.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
The teams should be allowed to innovate on anything that does not impair safety.....

Too high a top speed is a safety issue. So is too much disparity in speed between cars. Most rules like this aim at reducing one or both of these issues.

Racing is about the closest running and finishes to make it exciting for the fans, not an experimental prototype proving ground.
Make the cars identical, or nearly so, and it becomes about how well the humans (driver, pit, management) execute the mission.
Thats a good thing.

Interesting...

As I understand things, the amount and type of fuel you're allowed in F1 is constrained by tight regulations. Now whilst engine oil's primary purpose is lubrication, it's also a handy source of hydrocarbons. If you can access say five litres of it as fuel, you might be able to get an extra couple of laps out of your car which might make a difference to your position in the race.

On a normal car, if you have a high Noack oil, hot blow-by gas will, under the right circumstances, strip out the light front-end of your oil, recirculate it through the PCV & air intake systems to be burnt. It's why I bang on about avoiding high Noack oils. However, from an F1 point-of-view, this is a perfect mechanism for routing oil to the combustion chambers and extracting it's innate energy. Light, high volatility engine oils might be even preferred since your not right bothered about engine wear & longevity; only that the engine delivers 'the max', for the couple of hours duration of the race.

Last edited:
The additives can settle out of the oil and with a tank designed, baffled and plumbed just right the additives can be introduced into the combustion chambers for that extra surge of power or that extra few laps.

Next thing might be a Smokey Yunick fuel line. Fans of NASCAR racing when the teams build their own race cars their own way will know what that is and understand how it works.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Racing is about the closest running and finishes to make it exciting for the fans, not an experimental prototype proving ground.
Make the cars identical, or nearly so, and it becomes about how well the humans (driver, pit, management) execute the mission.

Turn F1 into a spec series, and there will be no one left racing. There are all kinds of spec series out there.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Turn F1 into a spec series, and there will be no one left racing. There are all kinds of spec series out there.

If things get boring, just do what they did. Hire drivers like Perez and Ocon to spice things up. And if they start behaving too much, hire Maldonado back to start wrecking people.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Next thing might be a Smokey Yunick fuel line. Fans of NASCAR racing when the teams build their own race cars their own way will know what that is and understand how it works.

Didn't he fill the roll bar up with gas one time? I thought he had a tee connection under the floorboards with a solenoid the driver activated under the dash, that allowed the driver to stay out and win the race without coming in for a, "splash and go". It held an extra 3 gallons or so. He also built a reverse rotation engine, so the torque would help the car turn, instead of the driver always fighting it. He was a genius, and way ahead of his time.

Originally Posted By: billt460
If things get boring, just do what they did. Hire drivers like Perez and Ocon to spice things up. And if they start behaving too much, hire Maldonado back to start wrecking people.

Exactly. People, including me, laugh when Pastor says he could make a comeback. At least Pastor stood on the top step once, though he's far short of the points that Perez got over the years.

You wouldn't have heard it in the U.S., but Martin Brundle was pretty blunt about Alonso this weekend. Crofty was doing the usual pity party for Fernando, how poor the Honda performance and reliability is and how there's no room for him in another top team, and how everything is just so wrong for such a great talent. Martin reminded that Alonso was the architect of his own troubles with other teams. I'm sure Alonso must be wringing his hands right now. If he dumps McLaren for something else (if he can find someone who'll have him, and it won't be Mercedes, Red Bull, or Ferrari), we may see Honda get its act in order. Renault isn't far ahead of Honda for power and reliability. Alonso is just providing the publicity. If he was in Verstappen's Red Bull, he'd be saying the same things about Renault and Red Bull that he does about Honda. As much as Alonso is regretting Honda's issues, I'm sure Honda is wondering why they are helping finance this loudmouth prima donna's ride.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You wouldn't have heard it in the U.S., but Martin Brundle was pretty blunt about Alonso this weekend. Crofty was doing the usual pity party for Fernando, how poor the Honda performance and reliability is and how there's no room for him in another top team, and how everything is just so wrong for such a great talent. Martin reminded that Alonso was the architect of his own troubles with other teams. I'm sure Alonso must be wringing his hands right now. If he dumps McLaren for something else (if he can find someone who'll have him, and it won't be Mercedes, Red Bull, or Ferrari), we may see Honda get its act in order. Renault isn't far ahead of Honda for power and reliability. Alonso is just providing the publicity. If he was in Verstappen's Red Bull, he'd be saying the same things about Renault and Red Bull that he does about Honda. As much as Alonso is regretting Honda's issues, I'm sure Honda is wondering why they are helping finance this loudmouth prima donna's ride.

Coupla things I agree with you there. He has rather poisoned a few wells. Honda pays him BIG money so shut up or quit. I still think he got off easy for the Fabio sponsored fake trip into the wall. I respect his abilities but I don't feel bad for him.

It looks like Alonso had another "fake trip" into the wall this weekend. Honda is maintaining that there was nothing wrong with his engine when he retired claiming engine problems. The Honda people are helping him cover his butt, noting that the retirement was precautionary. Precautionary of what? Alonso's quite likely enough to wind up with enough grid penalties in Monza (and the next race and the next race and the next race) that it won't matter much.

The only precautions taken were to prevent the guy driving the flatbed to have to put his coffee down when the thing really did inevitably fail, and to prevent the censor people from getting callouses on their swear button fingers if Alonso would have to finish the race. While I feel for Alonso in some respects, if he doesn't like it and doesn't want to finish a race in a back marker, move along. There's talk that Pascal Wehrlein may lose his seat next year and go back to DTM if Ferrari pushes to get Leclerc a Sauber seat. Kvyat is always walking on thin ice. Palmer is in trouble. Any of those three I'm sure would take Alonso's seat happily. And, if any of them were paid even half of what Alonso is making, you wouldn't be able to wipe the smiles off their faces no matter how many retirements they had.

Stoffel is playing things right. He's keeping his head down and his mouth shut. If in a season or two or three McLaren, be it McLaren-Honda or something else, has everything in order, he's in the right spot, and behaving himself nicely so if he isn't in the right spot, he isn't a pariah for other teams.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: ozdrrider
I wonder what the additives were?????? Probably not TCW-3 I suspect....
grin.gif

Toluene.
wink.gif

dicyclopentadiene?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back