New Food Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.oroweat.com/products/sliced-breads/organics/100-whole-grain-bread

Ever wish you could find a wheat bread that would still be moist and chewy after you toasted it ? Well, look no further. And then I pile on the Challenge whipped butter with sea-salt. I don't think this stuff is completely healthy. The bread has sugar in it and of course the butter is supposed to be very bad for your vascular system. But it sure hits the spot!
smile.gif

My son works for a major bakery, and he mixes the dough. There is a never ending race to make the highest quality bread at the cheapest price. The formula can possibly change weekly effecting quality, taste, and how long it stays fresh.

The bakery had cheapened the ingredients so much in one of their star products honey wheat that it no longer tasted good to me, and it was already getting stiff when it was stocked on the store shelves. My son confirmed that they had reduced real honey, and a host of other quality ingredients. Then the bakery raised the price.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
My son works for a major bakery, and he mixes the dough. There is a never ending race to make the highest quality bread at the cheapest price. The formula can possibly change weekly effecting quality, taste, and how long it stays fresh.

The bakery had cheapened the ingredients so much in one of their star products honey wheat that it no longer tasted good to me, and it was already getting stiff when it was stocked on the store shelves. My son confirmed that they had reduced real honey, and a host of other quality ingredients. Then the bakery raised the price.

It's a sign of the times - bread is a commodity item and the bulk majority of the consumers shop by price first, name brand a distant second. Once a competitor lowers the honey to reduce cost, others are soon to follow to maintain that competitiveness. Smaller companies are less likely to do this, but they also charge a premium and their sales are very small.

There's a reason you don't see Danish cookies made with real butter year round at Walmart, no one buys them except around the holidays.

As far as why the bread was stiff, (not knowing what other changes were made) honey makes food softer and more pliable because it's two different monosaccharides, fructose and glucose, which are plasticizers.

I would like to know what the other "quality" items were reduced. What we consider quality such as honey the body would treat the same as corn syrup.

Dave's Killer Bread. 'Nough said...

I don't often eat bread, but when I do, it's Dave's . . .

That's good bread. My wife got it a couple of times.

Not the worst food addiction in the world... Right now, I'm in love with this red licorice Trader Joe's sells. It's imported from New Zealand and comes in half pound bags. I can kill a half a bag in front of the computer at night.

They did not use corn syrup. He said I could not go into detail because of trade secrets. He said when the recipe normally took a certain ingredient at 46 pounds, and then they reduced that to 39 pounds to cut costs. It was other major changes to the recipe too. Wheat/white flour ratio changed too. And they went to a thinner bag on top of it all. That's about all I can say about it.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
They did not use corn syrup. He said I could not go into detail because of trade secrets. He said when the recipe normally took a certain ingredient at 46 pounds, and then they reduced that to 39 pounds to cut costs. It was other major changes to the recipe too. Wheat/white flour ratio changed too. And they went to a thinner bag on top of it all. That's about all I can say about it.

Thanks. It all makes sense. They are cutting costs, but are trying to make changes that the consumer won't notice, also known as unadvertised changes. Can't speak for the bread company, but the company I work for does screening of food over the shelf life of the product to see if detectable changes are present. The bigger the brand, the more stringent the testing.

Whole wheat flour is more expensive than white flour, hence why the ratio changed and when your product is 80% plus flour, a small change can add up over time. The packaging part although thinner, could be the same or similar properties and cheaper. I'm not in packaging but have friends that are packaging engineers (they exist) and listening to them I think some new types of plastic (or combination of existing products) have come on to the market.

So if you ever see a new label on a product you normally buy and it doesn't advertise something is better, be leary that the recipe was cheapened up.

After I stopped formulating engine oil, I started baking my own bread. The two processes aren't that dissimilar. Flour is your base oil. Seeds are your additives. Yeast is a bit like VI Improver. I like to think over the years I've optimised my blend formulation for successful field usage.

At least it doesn't have 38 ingredients! Added flavors is a disappointment for something that is organic, what's the point?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
https://www.oroweat.com/products/sliced-breads/organics/100-whole-grain-bread

Ever wish you could find a wheat bread that would still be moist and chewy after you toasted it ? Well, look no further. And then I pile on the Challenge whipped butter with sea-salt. I don't think this stuff is completely healthy. The bread has sugar in it and of course the butter is supposed to be very bad for your vascular system. But it sure hits the spot!
smile.gif

Whole wheat bread definitely makes better toast than white. I like to toast a piece of whole wheat bread and top it with a poached egg.

Merkava,

Not sure if this brand is available in your neck of the woods but Franz out of Portland OR makes some pretty decent bread for a big bakery. It's a popular brand in the PNW. They sell many different varieties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back