M1 15w50/STP 0w20, 7k, Scion xB, ran w/out oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Scion xB. Had Mobil 1 15w50 oil in the sump. During a drive the cheap magnetic drain plug got lose and oil was lost. Took 4 quarts to get back to the full line on the dipstick, after replacing a drain plug. Oil that was added is STP 0w20. Oil filter still had almost 1qt of M1 15w50. This combination was in use for 7k miles with lots of stop&go and extensive idling.

Likely had some bearing wear, but overall I'd say you got lucky. I'd stick with a heavier oil from here on out - at least a 5W-30 until you get a handle on how the bearing wear is progressing.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
What filter are you using that holds a quart? Mine would be lucky to hold a cup
M1-209. I prefill it every time before putting it on the car and it swallows the 1qt bottle almost completely. 0.8qt or so.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Likely had some bearing wear, but overall I'd say you got lucky. I'd stick with a heavier oil from here on out - at least a 5W-30 until you get a handle on how the bearing wear is progressing.
I will stick with various synthetic 5w30s from my stash, and then will move onto the 0w40 stash.

Maybe you should consider having a professional change your oil. Clearly DIY is a dangerous move, what with drain plugs falling out randomly and all.
33.gif
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
Maybe you should consider having a professional change your oil. Clearly DIY is a dangerous move, what with drain plugs falling out randomly and all.
33.gif
31.gif

Ha-ha. I haven't revisited this thread since August 25th, but I appreciate your thoughtful reply.
This thread below explains in detail why this failure happened. Long story short: anodized aluminum drain plug from Amazon failed due to being a very soft metal. Steel drain plug that replaced it is still going strong and never set itself loose.
Again, thank you for your helpful feedback, I will definitely consider it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...re.#Post4460753

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
That's why I don't trust Amazon/eBay to keep me safe on the road.

And why I’d never trust a “fumoto” valve. That little plug is the only thing protecting your engine from complete destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back