Best choices 2013 SHO Performance Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestions for Ford Taurus SHO Performance package, extra coolers, 3:16 gears 6 sp auto, awd twin turbo, tune, thermostat, CAI, new plugs stock gap.
I have been using Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30, 5w-30 is specified for my vehicle. New jersey 95 hot to zero degrees, basically flat at sea level.
I have decided I would like to try the Liqui-Moly brand, several seem to fit the bill, not sure what would be best. I plan on 5-6,000 oil change interval with MC FL500S filter. Am not adverse to running a 5w-30 LM winter configuration vs a 5w-30 summer. However I am also looking for any suggestions on oil for my car. It has 55,000 miles, I bought it used when it had 36,500. It has had only synthetic 3000 to 7000, change by color interval. Had 400 dollar RXP dual clean side & dirty side oil separator, which showed lots of fuel dilution. Thanks for any help.

I would be more worried about the water pump than anything since from what I have heard its inside the block. But congratulations....I love that car.

I've got a 2010 SHO and run Pennzoil Platinum in it changed by the OLM. Been running great for the past 116k. Nothing needed just bone stock and sales still runs like a you know what.

I'm not too concerned about the water pump. IMHO its way overblown. Every FWD Ford 3.5 and 3.7 and Mazda 3.5 and 3.7 used that same configuration. It's been around since 2007 in the Edge, Explorer, Taurus, and Lincoln variants. There are millions or tens of millions of those engines running around with few failures. The RWD versions of them use an external water pump.

In general I think the Ford oil life monitor does a good job of tracking oil life, but fuel dilution is a problem and can be a negative factor in oil life. The Ecoboost motor also likes to shear down oil. From what I've seen here fuel dilution is common, but often doesn't lead to noticeable increase in wear metals. Go figure...maybe because those of us on BITOG are a bit AR about oil and change it before there is a problem.

Given all that I've learned here, I highly recommend running the oil for about 5,000 miles and doing an oil analysis to see how things are playing together. I see no reason to run anything but 5W-30 unless the oil analysis shows otherwise. All the common brand oils seem to work fine, but Castrol Magnatec seems to hold up the best.

You probably know this, but just in case... tuned EB's can burn thru plugs in 25,000-30,000 miles. FordTechMakuLoco is a former tech on YouTube and has done a number of videos on the EB that are worth watching.

Have you considered a 0w40? If I owned an out-of-warranty EB engine, I would use this oil. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol or Valvoline. If not, as mentioned the Castrol 5w30 is the next best bet. It does seem to hold up quite well which is interesting.

I would personally ditch the LiquiMoly idea and use the money saved on a better oil filter.

Don't let the water pump scare you. I had asked in a previous thread if the thing had a service interval and I don't think anyone chimed in. Do some research to see how long they last and replace it out of preventative maintenance when the time comes.

I have an extended warranty good till 100,000 miles, I not worried about the water pump. I use Motorcraft FL500 as specified in the manual, the EcoBoost engine VERY sensitive to oil filter changes, the SHO forum list suggest using ONLY the Motorcraft filter. Without which longer starting times, cold start noises and ticks. In 3rd party testing the MC filter was near the top, so I ok with that. I may just go with the Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, less then 20 dollars for 5L or 5 qts at 5 local wallymarts all in stock, local peep boys gets 39 for the same jug. Researching the magnatec I find nothing but good things, especially for the ecoboost. I know high end synthetics shine most bright during longevity and severity. I just can't let any oil stay in very long and use the visual see through, never black method of oil change, roughly 3,000 -7,000 max. I drive quite aggressively and love this car. Thanks for all the information and suggestions. ...

Be sure to check the oil before you by at Walmart. Plenty of reports here of jerks putting their old oil back into the jugs and returning it to the store for a refund. The staff happily puts the oil jugs back onto the shelves without inspecting it.

There's no concern about not using MC filters here on the forum. Purolator, the maker of the filter, has been experiencing quality issues lately and we sometimes see tears in their filters, including MCs.

Have fun with your SHO. Be sure to post any UOAs here so we can see how it performs.

Originally Posted By: Avidmotion
I have an extended warranty good till 100,000 miles, I not worried about the water pump. I use Motorcraft FL500 as specified in the manual, the EcoBoost engine VERY sensitive to oil filter changes, the SHO forum list suggest using ONLY the Motorcraft filter. Without which longer starting times, cold start noises and ticks. In 3rd party testing the MC filter was near the top, so I ok with that. I may just go with the Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, less then 20 dollars for 5L or 5 qts at 5 local wallymarts all in stock, local peep boys gets 39 for the same jug. Researching the magnatec I find nothing but good things, especially for the ecoboost. I know high end synthetics shine most bright during longevity and severity. I just can't let any oil stay in very long and use the visual see through, never black method of oil change, roughly 3,000 -7,000 max. I drive quite aggressively and love this car. Thanks for all the information and suggestions. ...

I'll let you do the research, but I am personally not a fan of how those Motorcraft filters hold up on any EB engine. I'd personally step it up to a filter with wire backed media. My .02.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I am interested in a quality friction modifier to use in the suspect front differential (PTU), the rear diff and or transmission? I want to use one product if possible,I am looking for something worthy that might help in longevity. Not looking for crazy claims of mpg better 1/4 mile times etc., just want to feel that besides changing fluids aggressively with proper and quality fluids that this extra friction modifier would benefit me and make me feel like I tried my best. I do "race" the vehicle, just not at a track. I am hard on the vehicle but I also do aggressive maintenance. Any suggestions considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back