Curbside score!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I embraced my inner Fred Sanford today.
A home near me had a newer John Deere D155 lawn tractor and a Honda Trx90 out on the curb. I pulled in spoke with the homeowner to make sure he wasnt making a for sale sign. All free, along with a weber spirt propane grill.
Both machines went under in the flooding we expericed august 2016. The mower, he claimed was only a few months old when it flooded and he brought it to a local dealer for repair. He though the pto clutch was failing and refused to put anymore money into it. I got worried when he told me he hadnt done anything with the Honda but the dipstick showed no signs of water in the crankcase. I asked him if we could pull them off the road back to his house and told him I'd be back in 20 minutes with my trailer.
18 minutes and a 14 mile round trip later I returned and he helped me load up. When I returned home, my kids were thrilled to see the ATV.
The mower didn't respond when I turned the key. The john deere branded battery had a 4/17 production date. I jumped it off from my truck and after 20 seconds of cranking the 24hp briggs fired up. I let it run for about a minute and disconnected the cables. It ran for about 5-10 seconds and died like i turned the key off. I reconnected the cables and restarted it. Let it run about 5 more minutes and disconnected the cables. 5 seconds later...died.
I grabbed a jump box and restarted it to move it to my shed. Engaged the PTO to see what would happen. Blades engaged, and it was mowing. No odd noises coming from the deck.
Ive had failing electric PTO clutches work great till they get hot. Then, once your half finished mowing (always the front yard) they give out and disengage. We'll see. I suspect the rectifiervoltage regulator may not be functioning correctly and the lack of amperage/ voltage to the clutch might be the culprit.
The ATV is a 2009 model and once cleaned up was in great condition. I suspect the it might run with just a carb cleaning or replacement. He didnt offer the title or a key and didnt ask so the key switch will need to be replaced. He tought the rear brakes were locked up but i found placing the shifter in neutral fixed that. I'll likely save that for a winter project.
The wife is not really on board...??
smile.gif

A nice score indeed!
Owner with more money than sense throws away machines then picked up by a more savvy guy.
Good for you!

There should be a rectifier / regulator on the engine assembly. If it is the kind with 3 spade terminals in a row, the center one goes to the battery. You should have 12 volts there with a live battery and the key on. If there's no path to the battery, troubleshoot the tractor wiring. Being in a flood will cause severe corrosion of the wires that are +12 all the time.

i would pull the plug on the honda and spin it over.then give it a squirt of oil so it doesnt rust up before you get to it.
good score!
someones laziness=jackpot for you!

I guy I worked with had his whole house generator go under water . Insurance paid for it . He told another coworker he could have it . This guy brought it home and changed the oil , flushed out the generator assembly , replaced the control panel and got himself a nearly new whole house generator for a few hundred bucks .

Talk about right place , right time...Definitely more money than brains. Honda ATV's are golden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back