Source for replacement NiMH drill batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I have a 15 year old Craftsman 18v cordless hammer drill that both batteries have given up the ghost on over the last couple years. The charger refuses to charge them and just blinks defective battery. Sears no longer has OEM batteries, so eBay and Amazon generics are the only option I have found so far. Any suggestions on repair or replace sources? It's battery number 130145009.

I am also considering just buying a new drill, but this one has a ton of power, 1/2" chuck and hammer capabilities and always was a good performer, just leary of a $45 generic battery performance.

Batteries Plus can rebuild them. They rebuilt a few for my Milwaukee tools a few years back for around $30 each. Have been fine ever since.

See if you can get a new LiIon battery and charger rather than replace older NiCad.

Otherwise get a new brush-less drill with LiIon.

I have gone to Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools. A couple of batteries and many bare tools.

See if you can get a new LiIon battery and charger rather than replace older NiCad.

Otherwise get a new brush-less drill with LiIon.

I have gone to Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools. A couple of batteries and many bare tools.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I have a 15 year old Craftsman 18v cordless hammer drill that both batteries have given up the ghost on over the last couple years. The charger refuses to charge them and just blinks defective battery. Sears no longer has OEM batteries, so eBay and Amazon generics are the only option I have found so far. Any suggestions on repair or replace sources? It's battery number 130145009.

I am also considering just buying a new drill, but this one has a ton of power, 1/2" chuck and hammer capabilities and always was a good performer, just leary of a $45 generic battery performance.

I have had batteries rebuilt by Nethers Wholesale and recommend them for the fair price, quick turn around, and excellent quality. My old batteries came back working better than new and the added increase in capacity really made it nice. I have talked to the owner and he is a very knowledgeable nice person who will only do a rebuild if your old battery is not too beat up with new components. Check his site out and shoot him an email. I bet even if your battery is not listed he can help you.

http://stores.ebay.com/Nethers-Wholesale/Craftsman-Battery-Rebuilds-/_i.html?_fsub=16805635018

ive bought similar sized battery packs from harborfreight and cut them open to get the cells. They are already welded ton gether and all that need to do s solder tye wires

It's battery number 130145009.

Amazon has it for a hellacious amount of money.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: AVB
You could rebuild them yourself if you can solder.

And spot weld.

You can do it with just solder, rc racers have been building battery packs like that for decades.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You could rebuild them yourself if you can solder.

And spot weld.

You can do it with just solder, rc racers have been building battery packs like that for decades.

You should not solder directly to the batteries. Rather buy batteries with tabs spot welded on and solder to the tabs.

Batteries Plus will have it.

I had an old 1/4" impact/ drill set that I bought a new battery for at Batteries Plus, it worked fantastic for quite a while until I abused it and melted the battery. I used the drill on high speed with a large brush attachment for about 15 minutes straight and it melted some plastic on the battery. It still worked actually just didn't want to risk it.

So I actually do recommend their batteries. My drill got really hot!

After exploring all options, I ended up buying a new aftermarket battery off eBay for $47. It arrived this afternoon, it appears to be good quality. I charged it up and the drill is working well...I haven't used it for anything heavy duty yet but hoping it works as well as the originals and I get a few more years out of it.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons of why I prefer corded tools.

It's 15 years old and I used it every day at work for the first 5 years installing satellite dishes. The batteries sat in the bed of an S-10 in temps from 0F - 100F and I used the drill to put 1/2" holes through double block walls. The batteries lasted a lot longer than I ever anticipated.

After exploring all options, I ended up buying a new aftermarket battery off eBay for $47. It arrived this afternoon, it appears to be good quality.

does it weigh the same as the original battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back