Recommendations for my roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a 2008 Honda Pilot that overall has pretty decent paint for its age. The part that is starting to show the most wear is the roof. There are a couple little rust spots that I need to take care of and for now I have just been putting wax on them but I need to touch them up and do it right so it will last and not cause eventual leaks. Also, there is some heavy oxidation on some parts of my roof and you can see the rear section "fender" above the trunk which is made out of plastic. I am a newbie when it comes to detailing and paint restoration but I would like to try to tackle this myself. What kind of recommendations do you have for a newbie like myself? How do I properly take care of the little rust spots and prep them to add some touch up paint that will last and not discolor? Do I need to take care of the rust spots/touch up before I tackle the oxidation? Obviously, first I need to wash and clay the roof, then what? Thanks for the tips!

Rust spots need to be sanded down until you get to bare metal, after which you will prime and paint.

Oxidation (if it is indeed oxidation) needs to be polished out if you want a glossy finish.

I would do the following:

Wash the top and really scrub good.

Follow with a clay bar to remove as much contaminant from the top as possible. If you see rust spots I would mark them with masking tape then go get some rustoleum paint and a artist brush and touch up the spots. Since you are on top the van the job doesnt need to be beautiful. I might put some rust restorer on first after knocking off the heavy rust. Let that dry then hit it with a good coat of wax. If you don't like hitting it often use Nufinish.

Do I need to sand the spots to get the rust off first? Should I invest in a sanding pen?

https://www.amazon.com/K-Tool-International-KTI-70550-KTI-Sanding/dp/B000FN8H52

The rust spots are smaller than the size of a dime (you can see the biggest spot in one of my pictures). I might get actual Honda touchup paint that includes clearcoat in the pen. Should I prime the spots after I sand them or is the paint sufficient? Thanks

Last edited:
IMO it's already too far gone. You can clay bar and wax it and make it look better, but it's going to get worse over time either way.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
IMO it's already too far gone. You can clay bar and wax it and make it look better, but it's going to get worse over time either way.

Too far gone? I know it will not be perfect but I just need to protect it from leaks and make the car last.

x2, waxing is really the only thing you can do or have the top painted, MAACO comes to mind
wink.gif

Yes. This guy says to buy a new car as he believes the situation is terminal. Listen to him. He's a genius.

Originally Posted By: Toros

Yes. This guy says to buy a new car as he believes the situation is terminal. Listen to him. He's a genius.
Who says he needs to buy a new car? Might want to lay off the meth pipe there buddy.

Originally Posted By: shurguywutt

Too far gone? I know it will not be perfect but I just need to protect it from leaks and make the car last.

Sand with pen and paint. I did it on a small part and it stopped rusting. It looks like I need to redo it now though. Held up for 3 years and has not gotten worse.
Sand with pen til no more rust. Wipe clean with rubbing alcohol and let dry. Follow with two to three coats touch up paint.

Originally Posted By: Malo83

x2, waxing is really the only thing you can do or have the top painted, MAACO comes to mind
wink.gif

+1. Rust is something better left to a professional if you don't think you are up to the task of sanding and repainting. Considering it is the roof for an older vehicle a place like MAACO can get rid of the rust and paint it so it looks nice. it isn't a show car but if you want to keep it for a while I recommend having the rust removed.

I bought some color matched primer, base coat, and clear coat touch up paint. Going to wash and clay the roof, sand with a sanding pen, prime, paint and clear coat the rust spots then put a couple coats of wax. Paint is still good don't need to spend money on a [censored] paint job.

Yes, I think it can be brought back to life with what you mentioned. It will look much better after you do the things you mention. Will it look perfect? No but who cares. The goal is to make it look it's best.

Just remember after the sanding step to wipe it with rubbing alcohol so the primer can bond properly.

It will be clean and protected afterwards which sure beats a paint job with primer showing through. Not sure what some of the guys are referring to. Be happy it doesn't look like this guy's 4Runner:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...or_#Post4501781

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
I bought some color matched primer, base coat, and clear coat touch up paint. Going to wash and clay the roof, sand with a sanding pen, prime, paint and clear coat the rust spots then put a couple coats of wax. Paint is still good don't need to spend money on a [censored] paint job.

No need to spend money on a paint job that paint is perfectly salvageable. Your plan looks good but I would suggest you get these 2 items, use the self etching primer before the regular primer and use the touch up sticks to apply the products.
Once you are done with the sanding pen wipe it with vinegar and dry it, the acid helps get the remaining rust out of the "pores". do not sand the etching primer put the regular primer over it.

The reason you want to use etching primer is it prevents moisture from getting through the primer from below which can happen and ruin the job later and end up with a bigger rust spot. regular primer is a sponge (its talc based) and will absorb moisture from the air when you apply it and immediately react to the base metal, once it dries the oxidation process is in play even before you apply the top coat and clear.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/duplicolor-self-etching-primer-12-oz-aerosol-dap1690/7140110-P

https://www.amazon.com/ATLIN-Disposable-...PM8VA0AT4XEEDSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back