mixing synthetic and non-synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 2008 toyota tacoma calls for 6.3 quarts of 0W-20 oil. I added a 5 qt container of 0W-20 synthetic blend, and then topped off with 1 qt of 5-W20 conventional oil. Is that okay to mix?

Perfectly fine. That synthetic blend is mostly conventional anyway. You just diluted it even more.

You just added more non synthetic to the already low amount of synthetic of the blend. No problem
Warstud beat me

Last edited:
The mix is ok. It is mostly 0w20 so no problem there. Had it been something like diesel motor oil 5w40 and then 0w20, well, it would be a different story

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why ask? Just curious.

Lots of FUD about mixing the two has been spread around...I had a guy at a Midas tell me that I could never go back to using conventional if I switched to synthetic in my RAV4. He gave me a bit of a shock but I guessed that he was probably full of it, and I was right.
The very existence of synthetic blends tells us that mixing the two is OK.

I do this all the time.. sometimes I mix conventional with synblend, sometimes I mix conventional with full synthetic, and sometimes I mix syn blend with synthetic..

.. heck, I've even mixed "high-mileage" with conventional, syn-blend, or synthetic.

Never had what I felt was a bad UOA using any of these.

For what it's worth, this UOA below was (I think) a mix of Castrol Synblend, Valvoline NextGen Maxlife, and Valvoline NextGen conventional... some was 5w30 and some was 5w20.. as you can see, the results were just fine:

b7182u.jpg

Many "conventional" oils are a blend anyway, so no harm done.
The cost of "syn blend" (how much syn, nobody is telling) is not justified for what you get.

No harm done, no real benefit either.

I have mixed blends, conventional and synthetic. It is oil in my engine, that is what matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back