AC compressor issue (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3, 100% stock , 180k miles.

Today coming from work all of the sudden the car starts blowing hot air and I check the temperature gauge to realize the needle is 3/4 of the way up, very close to the H. I turn the heating on max and the car begins to cool down.

Pull over and when the AC is on, this is what the compressor is doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_QuhECEhyM

I should note I have not seen the radiator fan come on, either when the AC was or on off and the car was fully warmed up and the temperature gauge was higher than normal. Is this related to the AC issue?

A week later: Found a clutch/bearing replacement in Amazon and installed it this past weekend. The clutch appears to no longer "slip" but it does turn on and off as it pleases. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMlhTfqfHkQ AC was on all the time while recording the video.

Before this all happened the car was blowing ice cold air, so I assume it is not an issue with lack of refrigerant in the system.

Any feedback is appreciated before my last resort which would be to take it to a shop.

Thanks!

Did you measure the pressure on hi and lo side?
These measurement will determine if the compressor is good or bad.

Last edited:
First you should address the fact the cooling fans have not come on as you don't want to over heat the engine. Most modern automobiles will shut off the air conditioning should the engine go over a pre determined temperature. This is probably why the AC shut down in the first place.

Does the A/C operate properly when the car is moving? When the car is moving, air is forced through the condenser and radiator, so it does not matter that the fan does not work.

The compressor appears to be tripping off due to high pressure, because the condenser fan does not work. With no airflow the high side pressure rises very high and the controls will disengage the compressor to protect it.

The condenser fan must come on when the car is sitting still with the A/C on. It may not stay on constantly, but it should be on at least part of the time.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

Unfortunately I do not. I know working on an AC issue without the gauges is difficult but due to the AC working at highway speeds I am assuming the compressor works and the system is properly charged.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
First you should address the fact the cooling fans have not come on as you don't want to over heat the engine. Most modern automobiles will shut off the air conditioning should the engine go over a pre determined temperature. This is probably why the AC shut down in the first place.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Does the A/C operate properly when the car is moving? When the car is moving, air is forced through the condenser and radiator, so it does not matter that the fan does not work.

The compressor appears to be tripping off due to high pressure, because the condenser fan does not work. With no airflow the high side pressure rises very high and the controls will disengage the compressor to protect it.

The condenser fan must come on when the car is sitting still with the A/C on. It may not stay on constantly, but it should be on at least part of the time.

I think you two may have hit the nail on the head. I went for a 20 minute ride after reading your feedback and as the car was moving the AC kept blowing cold air. I stopped twice on the drive and the fan was never on. Your feedback will shift my focus from the AC system to the cooling fan. Worth noting the car only has one radiator fan and it did not overheat during the drive, temp gauge stayed where it usually did before this all started.

Off I go to read up on diagnosing the cooling fan.

Last edited:
Check the fan connections, fuse or breaker and wiring first. Look for the easy stuff 1st. I had a similar issue with a Taurus with fan not operating and I had done a rad repair in February and forgot to reconnect the fan and since most of my driving is freeway or open road was not an issue till I did some in town driving after 3 hour freeway drive on a hot July day.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMJNet

A bad compressor with show higher than normal low side pressures; am I correct ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back